Built 1891 and still partly funded by the Church of England, this uniquely continues providing a traditional alternative introduction for youngest pupils before they join mainstream classrooms in a newly built Barker Street Schoolhouse.
A new name reflects 2015 introduction of this latest school building. Sited upon same grounds previously named John Davis School after a major 1997 re-organisation transferred both infants and juniors from older New Street buildings. The original Barker Street building opened 1960 to firstly fulfill need for a Huthwaite Secondary School. But relatively modern design was least able to stand the test of time when repairs revealed asbestos to demand its 2016 demolition.
Nottinghamshire's first purpose built comprehensive school opened 1964. That 40 acre campus has classed majority of Huthwaite senior pupils since transferals began 1977 with a school bus providing local pickups. Ashfield Comp was additionally equipped in order to fully gain its 1998 status as a Technology College to also extend further education.