Huthwaite historically emerged as a secondary hamlet, closely tied within and under the influencing lead of a Sutton-in-Ashfield parish. Adopting its own Local Governing Board led towards electing Urban District Councillors. They introduced majority of public utilities, services and amenities, and although still following or reliant upon larger concerns from our primary town, clearly held hopes of asserting independent town status. This index basically introduces a broader background linking how services historically progressed.
First Sutton postmaster was Mr Charles Plumbe who, in 1837 opened a Post Office on a formerly named Little Lane. Moving to this small Office far left on King Street, facing the Market Place is where he handed duties over in 1863 to the neighbouring chemist Mr S Littlewood. The office was newly resited several times, lastly into Asda, from off Brook Street afront present day sorting offices. Original buildings lastly recall Shepperson's cycle shop.
Water is the most essential resource for life, and a fresh supply is a must to support any civilised society. Rather surprising then to find a Sutton Local Board needing to prompt those in Hucknall Hucknall as late as 1886, into finally laying a mains to deliver tap water to its homes. A Sutton pumping station upon junction separating Alfreton Road and Huthwaite Road now sites a car wash, having firstly increased delivery distance of Mansfield water, before Huthwaite Councillors adopted another supplier.
Although a council run facility, full Parish duties included marriage and burial rights. Remotely conducting grave ceremonies in Saint Mary's small ancient Sutton yards outgrew available plots. Under a Local Board control they opened in 1889 a two acre cemetery, completed with this mortuary chapel seen when sited in Huthwaite.
Huthwaite Urban District Councillors were more directly responsible in fulfilling further need for the construction of more school buildings. The Council schools sited upon New Street were opened 1902. Designed to separately accommodate more infants and juniors in addition of two earlier National Church Schools. These schools were named after Cllr John Davies, remembered after next transfering classes to a newer Barker Street complex.
Public subscription raised the first localised library once situated on Forest Street, Sutton. Although dated 1897 and named for that queens diamond jubilee, the Victoria Free Library didn't open until 1899. That modestly sized facility continued fulfilling Sutton requirements until 1971, when the Idlewells retail complex incorporated the far larger reference library in updated use today. But Urban District Councillors presented Huthwaite with its own magnificent library, ceremoniously opened in 1913.
Erecting this 1933 Isolation Hospital above Strawberry Bank proved an unnecessry precaution taken by Urban District Councillors. Greater medical use was made of their former offices as a WWII clinic. Centering individual 1950s Doctor surgeries came by building a New Street Clinic, until the legacy of one former GP was realised in presenting 2013 a future Brierley Park Medical Centre.
Written 01 Jan 12 and Revised 29 Apr 15 © by Gary Elliott