This 32 page booklet comes to light courtesy of Mrs Mary Magee. Printed by the Brooklyn Press, Sutton, its 1933 publication and sale by members of All Saints priced at sixpence, aimed to reduce the Church debt covering recent electrification of the buildings lighting and organ. The Vicars foreword does elaborate some deeper meaning behind quotes given by notable residents. These fill majority of pages, although far more interest can now to be found among the local business adverts. Credit is however firstly given Robert Bailey Junior for writing the brief history of Huthwaite Church life, fully transcribed below from the first five pages.
In the first place, our cordial thanks are due to Mr. Robert Bailey, Junr., for the trouble he has taken in editing these quotations and in writing the history of the Church.
But the interest of this Book is neither in the quotations alone, nor in the names of contributors alone, but in the association with the two. ...
... To further this great end in human life is the high calling of the Christian Church and of the Christian Disciple: the quotations collected in this little book illustrating the inner meaning of life should shed some light on our upward path: the profits of this sale will add a quota to the material means which are the humble instrument of the achievement of that end.W. LI. BOULTON, VICAR. Feb. 1933.
Over 100 years ago, the village of Hucknall-under-Huthwaite had its own Churchwardens, although there was no Church, or rather deputy wardens, as they were under the jurisdiction of the Sutton Vestry. In some years there was only one, some years two, and there were intervals when no one was elected. In 1826 and 1827, there was only one, nominated by the Vicar (of Sutton), and his name was B. Burton. In 1828 and 1829, no nomination is recorded. In 1830 and 1831, Richard Ward served, and was not elected again. From 1832-35, there was "no nomination." B. Burton was again elected in 1836, and in the following year a deputation from Huthwaite attended the Sutton Vestry, and nominated George Turner as people's warden. This was accepted, and B. Burton was nominated by the Vicar. These two held office for two years, and then in 1839 a Mr. Mellors took the place of G. Turner. Mr. Mellors was warden for one year only, and in 1840, G. Turner again joins B. Burton. For the two following years B. Burton is alone, and in 1843, Mr. Wm. Lowe takes office until 1845, when he is succeeded in 1846 by Mr. George Allsop as people's warden. In 1847, B. Burton is again alone, and from 1848 to 1851, there are no entries. B. Burton returns to office again alone from 1852 to 1854, and is joined in 1855 by Mr. B. Lowe, who only stays one year, leaving him to carry on up to 1859. This is the last mention of him: he had served well, and was eventually buried at Sutton. There was no warden in 1860 or 1861, although deputation has visited Sutton, but in 1862, T. Robinson presented B. Burton's accounts for Church rates, which showed that the latter was still interested. T. Robinson was B. Burton's son-in-law, and was warden for thirty years (1862-1892).
Previous to 1868, the Churchpeople had to journey to Sutton for service. In that year the Blackwell Road Schools were opened, and the south wing was at the same time licensed as a Mission Church. Henrietta, Countess of Carnarvon, had given the land and £600 towards the same. Before this the scholars had met in a clubroom of the Workpeople's Inn. The first name on the register of the new schools was Mary Ann Forrester. On January 13, 1868, 90 scholars were enrolled, their ages varying from 3 years 9 months to 15½ years. The school house was built at the same time.
On the first Sunday after the opening, January 19, 1868, the Rev. T.W. Bellairs, Vicar of Sutton, held a baptismal service, and 47 candidates, aged from 5 months to 16 years, were baptised. On the following Sunday, 25 more were baptised. The first entry in the register is William Ashley, aged 12 years, son of Caleb and Frances Ashley.
For some years the services were conducted by a layman, Mr. C.B. Beecroft, of Sutton, while the Sutton clergy administered communion and baptisms.
In 1868 the yearly Vestry Meeting was held in the new schools. There were two wardens now, Mr. Robert Wright having been nominated people's warden. In 1874, the apse, now a cloak room, was built and furnished by the same Lady Carnarvon at the west end of the wing, and this was dedicated by the Bishop of Lincoln, who also held the first Confirmation Service at the same time.
Mr. C.B. Beecroft did excellent work up to 1875, when the first curate arrived in the person of the Rev. J. Read, in December. He left in September, 1877, and was succeeded by the Rev. Walter Hall, who came in December and left in the following April. The next curate was the Rev. George Merrill, who started a private school in the house now occupied by Dr. Gaston, but he left in the following January (1879). The Rev. Forster Maynard Shaw arrived in March, 1879, and stayed until September, 1881.
In January, 1882, the Rev. Henry Grayburn came, and was fated to be the only curate who died in the parish. His fiancee was visiting him at Easter, and he was staying at the school house with Mr. Sharpe, schoolmaster. It was his intention to celebrate communion on Easter Sunday, and was heard to rise at 7 o'clock, but as he did not appear later, an entrance was made to his room, and he was found quite dead from heart failure. He was buried at his home town of Grimsby. During his short stay he prepared candidates for confirmation. The service was held at Sutton in Lent, 1882, and one of that small band is still a regular attender at Church.
The services were now carried on by a Lay Reader, Mr. R.H.E. Slacke, who was preparing for the ministry. He did noble work during his short stay, which lasted until Whit Wednesday, 1883, when he left to be ordained. He was appointed to Halbeck (Yorks.) until 1886, returned to Sutton as temporary curate-in-charge for three months, and then went ot India as a missionary, sailing form England on November 10, 1886 on the "Clan Mackenzie." He died of fever in India two years later. On the Saturday previous to his departure, another Lay Reader, Mr. Edmund Kelso, arrived, and stayed until October, 1885. He was succeeded by the Rev. Ashley Kemp Hawkins, who had just been ordained. He was an accomplished musician, and composed the tune, which he named "Huthwaite," to the hymn, "I was a wandering sheep." He left in September, 1888, and at Christmas, the Rev. Alfred Charles Style arrived and stayed until December, 1890. His brother, Dr. Style, was the second medical practitioner who came to Huthwaite.
The next curate, the Rev. Wm. J.B. Kerr, stayed longer than any other curate, from January, 1891, to December, 1895, and during his stay the Common Road Schools were completed and dedicated as St. Paulinus Mission by the Bishop of Southwell. The services were transferred from the Blackwell Road Schools on Friday, October 13, 1893, on the occasion of the Harvest Festival.
In 1893, Mr. Wm. Simpson was appointed Vicar's Warden, and in 1894 and 1895 Dr. F.K. Tweedie held the office until he went to Sutton. The Rev. F.M.S. Baylis officiated from January to April, 1896, and the Rev. Richard Trevor Roper followed until November 1896. During 1896-7-8, the Vicar's Warden was Mr. J.W. Hick, while in 1897, Mr. W. Lee was appointed people's warden. Mr. Wm. Simpson joined Mr. Lee, and they worked together for ten years, during which time the Church was built.
The Rev. W.H. Warrington took up duties in January, 1897, and stayed until Whitsuntide, 1898, when he was offered the living of Arreton, Isle of Wight. In the following month the Rev. George Royds was appointed curate-in-charge, and he stayed until May, 1900. In 1898, an attempt was made to buy the Recreation Ground, opposite the Wesleyan Chapel, for the purpose of building a Church and Vicarage. A deposit was paid, but the Ecclesiastical Commissioners saw difficulties in the conveyance of the land, and so the deposit was returned. The building fund grew steadily, and when the Rev. F.N. Beswick arrived, it was decided to carry on with the idea of building a Church; and, when approached, the Heathcote-Unwin family gave the land for the site.
In 1901, a three days' bazaar was held in the Town Hall at Sutton. This was opened by the Duchess of Portland, and realised over £500; of this amount the Vicar's Stall took over £100. Plans were now prepared by Mr. G. Ford Whitcombe, architect, of London, and in May, 1902, the contract was let to Mr. A.B. Clarke, of Nottingham. The New Hucknall Colliery Company, Ltd., gave the rock of which the Church is built, and also a donation of £275. The Church is believed to be the only one in the country built from rock taken from a depth of 400 yards below the surface. The pillars and facings are of Mansfield stone.
The Foundation Stone was laid on November 22, 1902, by Her Grace the Duchess of Portland, accompanied by the Duke, the latter being so impressed that he increased his subscription of £150, given in 1898, by another £350, making a total of £500. Other donations were: £100 each from Sir Charles Seely, Lady Carnarvon, and the Bishop of Southwell; £50 each from the Rev. J.B. Hyde, Mrs. Hyde, Mrs. Lowe and sons, Miss Collinson, and Mr. F.W. Neale; and £25 each from the Rev. Canon Pavey and Sir Richard FitzHerbert.
The first stone leading into the tower was laid by Mr. S. Watson, J.P., who also gave £190 and the pulpit, and another £100 towards the Mission site. Other stones were laid in the pillars by Mrs. W.O. Boot, Mrs. W. Lee, and Mrs. T. Trigg, while the topmost stone in the east end of the Chancel was laid by Mr. W. Lee, warden, who had worked so hard for the cause.
The Church was dedicated to "All Saints" in December, 1903, by Dr. Ridding, Lord Bishop of Southwell. The actual cost of the Church and furnishings was £4,572 11s. 1d., the building itself costing £3,097 owing to the deep and solid foundations. The architecture is of the Norman transitional type, the arches and windows being of simple pointed design with the exception of the north windows, which are square headed. The building seats 500, and consists of nave, north aisle, choir, baptistry, and vestry. The tower was not built at the time.
In November, 1905, the Church was consecrated by Dr. Were, Bishop of Derby, who also inducted the Rev. F.N. Beswick as the first Vicar of Huthwaite when the separation from Sutton took place in 1906. The living was endowed by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners at £200 per annum, and placed in the gift of the Vicar of Sutton.
The music was supplied by the old harmonium, which was played by Mr. T. Allsop, who was effectively assisted by his sister on the violin. In 1906 an organ fund was opened, and in 1910, an organ, costing £450, and built by Messrs. Compton and Co., was opened free from debt by Mr. R.W. Liddle, organist of Southwell Minster. Mr. Alban Wilders, of Blackwell, was appointed the first organist and choirmaster.
In 1908 the Vicar had the help of the Rev. E.A. Jordan as curate for about a year. Mr. W. Lee resigned in 1909, owing to overwork, and his place was taken by Mr. T.H. Garnett, schoolmaster, who had served for two year as people's warden. In November, 1911, 44 trees were planted round about the Church by members of the C.E.M.S.
Mr. Lee was nominated as Vicar's warden on the death of Mr. Wm. Simpson, who had served for 20 years, and who had, with Mr. Lee, been admitted as the first legal churchwardens on the separation of the parish from Sutton. Mr. A. Taylor joined Mr. Lee, and together they served until 1919, when the latter again resigned. Mr. A.C. Dickens was nominated as Vicar's warden, and Mr. T. Goodall, schoolmaster, was elected as people's warden. After 20 years of hard work, the health of the Vicar broke down, and he had to be found an easier parish, that of Thorney, near Lincoln. The task of being correspondent of the Church Schools, which had been performed by the Rev. F.N. Beswick, was now taken over by Mr. W. Lee. For nine months the services were conducted by Mr. T. Goodall and Mr. H.A. Simpson.
The Rev. W.E.A. Middleton was the next vicar, and in his first year a bazaar was held in the Blackwell Road Schools, which realised £150, and wiped out the Church debt, the Church having been opened with a debt of £1,000. The living was increased to £250 in 1920, and there were also other gifts, such as £40 per annum from the Duke of Portland and £25 per annum from the New Hucknall Colliery Company, Ltd.
The Vicarage site was bought from Mr. A. Taylor for £350 in November, 1921, and of this amount £150 was contributed by Mr. S. Watson, and £25 was given back by Mr. Taylor. At the Vestry Meeting of 1922, Mr. A.C. Dickens, Vicar's warden, resigned, and Mr. W. Lee was nominated by the Vicar, and Mr. T. Goodall was re-elected people's warden. These two have worked together through very troublous times, and still hold office. The Rev. W.W.A. Middleton resigned the living in 1924, and went to Tasmania. The Rev. R.H.S. Currey took charge until March, 1925, when the present Vicar, the Rev. W.Li. Boulton, arrived. As there was no Vicarage a fund was opened for this object, and a bazaar was held in the Blackwell Road Schools in 1927, and this realised £548 12s. 4d. Plans were submitted by Messrs. Warner and Dean, architects, of Sutton, and the contract was let to Messrs. R. Moore and Son, of Mansfield, in 1929. The total cost of the Vicarage was £2,243 8s. 4d., and it was occupied by the Rev. W.Li. Boulton at Whitsuntide, 1930. The whole building is built on a raft of reinforced concrete. Annual bazaars have largely contributed to the cost, and it is now free of debt.
Owing to the heavy expense and cost of repairs, the Blackwell Road Schools were handed over to the Notts. Education Committee on November 1, 1929. In that year, electricity was brought into the parish, and the lighting of the Church was converted from gas. The water-driven engine for blowing the organ was also taken out, and an electric motor blower installed. The present debt is £170, and it is hoped that the coming bazaar and the sale of this book will free us from it.
Written 29 Jun 12 Revised 30 Jun 12 © by Gary Elliott