A small extract from the Midlands Distance Diagram of 1909, published in the Midlands Railway Society Journal issue 32. The article titled
Which County? is written by Mr Glynn Waite who exposes intriguing fact that our village railway platform, last renamed as Whiteboro' Station, was actually situated across county borders. This uniquely meant that tickets were purchased in Nottinghamshire sited offices facing Chesterfield Road, but walking down onto platforms the trains would be alighted inside Derbyshire.
The map did also hold interest from Westhouses Residents Association, tying us among a network of Midland tracks. Incorporated in a Tibshelf and Teversal Branch that extended into Skegby picking up coal mines off the main Erewash Valley line. A reminder into siting the Blackwell Branch that entered our New Hucknall Colliery yards, plus other relational pits and the important busy Westhouses sheds that have all since disappeared.
Grateful thanks therefore fully include Alex Fisher adding above photo, Trev Ashmore sharing interests and material, plus Glynn Waite for his specialist research and article magnificently detailing Whiteborough Station.
Written 11 Feb 08 Revised 17 Mar 09 © by Gary Elliott