Hasty mention to point out the CWS hosiery factory finally closed in 1969. Parts of the premises have been adopted by other businesses through the years, although currently most lays idle. There has already been long concern about the sites future. Nevertheless, general layout remains pretty much unchanged since last major CWS extension in 1937, at time employing above 1,500.
Because it monumentally still stands well beyond a century later, satellite mapping grants an excellent birds eye view over those old extended works.
Completing original designs in 1907 revealed a colossal construction in Huthwaite. Standing two tall storeys high it formed a continuous L shape when longest side almost filled north face of a High Street. Stretching between Unwin Street to then corner along flatter top of North Street, came before all facing houses fully lined these lofty Sutton Road back streets.
Recognised through a named street, some houses were also incidentally built by the Unwin Land Society. That local group sold the Huthwaite land which enticed a CWS relocation. Part of their deal was allowing this sites potential future expansion off North Street, finally claiming a 4¼ acre total.
Simply described as one great extension; in 1920 adding 47,500 square feet of floor space can account for a much longer reach down North Street. An extremely steep drop added a lower third level to afford another doorway. Retaining uniformity of large windowed brick work seamlessly disguises a later building where, from gaining main rear access to the central yard it did incorporate another bridged lorry entrance, favoured against one on High St.
My dated snaps aimed to show enormity of the extended building along North Street. Others will surely better preserve its memory, like mine can now show time lapsed neighbouring changes.
Discovering a 1928 proposal made by the Co-operative Society Ltd. Hosiery Works for a machine room and yarn store, will only represent one of many smaller additions and alterations made to their Huthwaite factory throughout the years. And they don't seem to mention further acquiring another large plot of land nearby, to site their sports ground on the opposite side the Sutton Road, despite formally opening up a 1933 pavilion.
Adding rooms for entertaining customers historically gained more notable 1934 dating. Not in great detail, except mention of including a large saleroom plus buyers dining room.
Viewing inside that new sales room was clearly meant to impress important corporate business. A generously sized modern layout may likewise advertise the factory strengths. The Cooperative Wholesale Society were progressive in many ways, such as boasting a works canteen. Offering buyers a little more comfort in dining, those facilities possibly entertained other guests amid reports of hosting sport teams.
The companies 1938 updated history last offers reference to "a further large extension" being just recently added to the Huthwaite Hosiery Factory. That must be the top right block shown above. Cornering the north west rear of the factory site, it was built on lower ground with four storeys still matching both height and depth of the original building. Prominently sighted off the Huthwaite Recreation Park, that separate block is not shy at appearing modern, even when time came to overlook scenic plantation of a Brierley Forest Park.
Designed purpose is not specified, other than simply adding more floor space for work rooms. But after outbreak of World War Two, here did safely and secretively relocate the Royal Navy Medical Supplies Depot.
Written 25 Jul 14 Revised 31 Jul 14 © by Gary Elliott