Front cover boldly claimed NEVER BEFORE PUBLISHED IN AS COMPREHENSIVE A FORM. And who could disagree when first printed and published 1907 by L. Lindley, Parliament Street, Sutton-in-Ashfield. His book subtitled 'Past Links with the Present' did include, and so helpfully preserve works by past historians, while further acknowledging several contributing researchers of the time. The death of Mr L. Lindley is found reported by The London Gazette" when notice concerning his estate is offered 30th March 1912 by his Executive Solicitor J. H. Westyr-Evans of 17 Quay Street, Cardiff.
After finding the book republished in 1983, this work is since fully reproduced on the Nottingham History website. Transcribed here are just shortened extracts giving separate historic reference of relational developments leading from our primary town of Sutton-in-Ashfield. Our once integral Huthwaite and Fulwood areas are separately covered when recognising individual parish status.
The parish of Sutton-in-Ashfield lies to the extreme west of Nottinghamshire, on the most elevated portion of the county, about 600 feet above the level of the sea, a little to the east of the rich valley of the Erewash. It is in the Broxtow Hundred of North Notts., three-and-a-half miles south-west from Mansfield, 14 miles from Nottingham, and 140 from London, on the Midland and Great Northern Railways.
The origin of the name Sutton is not exactly known, some saying it means the Sweet Town, others the South Town. It contains 6,040 acres of land, and the population in 1873 was 7,500. In 1906 it was 18,454, the number of inhabited houses being 3,717. ... To distinguish it from the numerous other Suttons in the kingdom (about 70 in all), it has the addition of Ashfield, from the great number of ash trees which grew here, when this formed a part of the famous Forest of Sherwood.... The present rateable value of Sutton is £29,503.
The manor, which now belongs to the Duke of Portland, was formerly held by ancient tenure from the Crown. "Jordan de Sutton 16. Ed. I. held one messuage and 12 bovats of land, and two bovats in Hothweit," [now Hucknall Huthwaite], "for which he paid 14s. per an. to the King, and did homage, and service, and snit to Mansfield Court, from three weeks to three weeks, and suit in the King's army in Wales, for 40 days, with one man, horse, haubergeon, cap of iron, lance, and sword."
A frame, containing representations of the Arms of Sir Jordane de Sutton and Arms of the Manor of Sutton-in-Ashfield, now hangs in a conspicuous place in the upper room of the Urban District Council's offices, Outram Street. The first shield is that borne by Sir Jordane de Sutton when attending the army in Wales in the reign of King Edward the First. The second shield is that of the Lordship of Sutton as borne by the Snittertons in 1086, from whom Sir Jordane's family received it by descent as heirs thereto.
Gerard, son of Walter de Sutton, gave to God and the Church of St. Peter at Thurgarton, two bovats of land, with his mother (when she took the habit of religion), and the church of the same town- his brother Robert being converted to religion, or dead. From the family of De Sutton the manor appears to have passed into the family of Greenhalgh of Teversal, and from thence to the Molyneux's of the same place, from them to the Hardwick's of Hardwick, thence to the noble family of Cavendish, who exchanged it away for other estates, upwards of a century ago, to the Dukes of Portland, in whose hands it still remains, the whole parish, with few exceptions, being copyhold, under the Court of Mansfield. Estates are transferred from one tenant to another by the delivery of a rod and the payment of a fine certain.
Sutton is in the Mansfield Union and County Court district, Nottingham Bankruptcy Court district, Broxtow Wapentake, Mansfield Petty Sessional Division, Sutton Polling District, Mansfield Parliamentary Division of the County, Mansfield Rural Deanery, Nottingham Archdeaconry, and Southwell Diocese (formerly in Lincoln Diocese). The Duke of Portland, as previously mentioned, is lord of the manor and principal owner of the soil; at the Enclosure 1,100 acres were allotted to him in lieu of the rectorial tithes. The manor, which is partly copyhold, was anciently a berue of the soke of Mansfield.
According to a survey of Sherwood Forest made in the year 1609 it contains 95,115 acres, of which 44,839 acres were then enclosed; 9,486 in woods, 35,080 in wastes, 1,583 in Clipstone Park, 8,072 in Bestwood Park, 326 in Bulwell Park, and 129 in Nottingham Park. In 1699 to 1796 among the enclosures which then took place was 2,698 in Sutton.
The Idle - a tributary of the Trent—has its source in the parish of Sutton. It seems to take its rise in an insignificant sort of way in what is locally known as "The Roods," between the junction of the boundary lines of Notts, and Derbyshire, and in no part within the borders of the parish is it more than two or three yards wide, the stream also being, naturally, very shallow here. Prior to 1855, the tributary flowed through the town openly, ...
The Post Office, like many other things in the town, had a very humble beginning, one of its early homes being at the house now occupied by Mr. F. Riley in Market Street (until recently known as Little Lane)... That was in the year 1842, and at that period the mails, both incoming and outgoing, were transferred to Alfreton and Mansfield per mail van... It is interesting to record that the first postmaster in the town was the late Mr. Charles Plumbe, appointed in 1837, ... After a few years at the above address, the office found a new home in the Market Place—at the premises now owned by the Mansfield and Sutton Co-operative Society— ... The latter relinquished his position as postmaster on being appointed postmaster of Mansfield in 1868, and on the appointment of the late Mr. S. Littlewood, chemist, the postal work was transferred to its present home. In 1883, Mr. Littlewood passed away, and Messrs Wharmby and Phillips purchasing the chemistry business, the last-named superintended the postal work until the partnership was dissolved in 1884. On December 9th of that year the present postmaster (Councillor Geo. Stevenson) commenced his duties, and the work is now being ably carried on by him. The office, was opened October 16th, 1892, ... is situated at the junction of King Street, New Street, and the Market Place. There are three Pillar Posts in the town—Devonshire Square Kirkby Road. and Forest Street; and Wall Boxes at West End, Hucknall Road, New Cross Post Office (Mr. J. Stanley's), Mansfield Road (New Cross), and Forest Side Post Office.
The Jubilee Year (1887) of the late Queen Victoria was an eventful one so far as Sutton was concerned. .... Huthwaite was supplied with water by the extension of the Sutton Waterworks system to that place. There were several disputes in the hosiery trade, no less than three strikes taking place during the year—in February, March, and May ;all of which, however, were amicably settled after a brief cessation of work.
Streets The naming, re-naming, and the affixing of name-plates at the entrance to the various streets, yards, and places in the parish, and the systematic numbering of each house, took place in or about 1894. On that occasion many of the old streets were renamed, but in some instances the old names have not yet by any means been forgotten.
Schools Prior to the passing of the Education Act, 1870. the young boys and girls of Sutton had no means of securing a systematic education as they have nowadays... Infants in former times attended "Old Dames' Schools," or private houses, ... Older boys and girls also attended the private homes, and other ill-adapted buildings, ...
In 1871 began a new era in regard to educational facilities, for then a School Board was formed, and whilst some of the present schools were in course of erection the Board entered upon their new duties in the schoolrooms belonging to the respective Nonconformist places of worship...
The Huthwaite National Schools were built 1868.
The Sutton Section of Police, in the Notts. Constabulary, comprises the parishes of Sutton-in-Ashfield, Skegby. Huthwaite, and Fulwood, the headquarters being in Sutton, where the Police Station, at the junction of Market Street and Low Street, was erected in 1861.
Prior to that time Messrs. E. Sills and William Foulds served as parish constables, whilst a Mr. Sherman acted as private constable to Mr. Unwin. We believe the first officer under the present regime was P.C. Saxton, and then came the following in order at the head:—Sergt. G. Radford,. 1861—1864; Sergt. R. Hind, 1864—1866; Sergt. T. Hallam, 1860—1877; Sergt. E. Brown, 1877—1891; Insp. Hnry. Sills, 1891—1900; Insp. John Duckmanton, 1900—1907; Insp. P. Brown, 1907....
The section now consists of - One Inspector, two Sergeants, and 11 Constables....
A Fire Brigade was formed in 1887, and another about 1892, ... it is not yet fully equipped—what is still needed to make it a complete and up-to-date organisation being a small Shand-Mason steamer. Its apparatus at present consists of—One Running-out Cart, Two Stand Pipes, Four Clay Pipes, Two Hydrant Keys and 14 Lengths of Hose Pipe. Each Fireman is called together by Telephone from the Urban District Council's depot in Church Street, where the uniforms of the firemen are kept, and practices are indulged in fortnightly...PRINCIPAL INDUSTRIES IN WHICH SUTTON PEOPLE ARE EMPLOYED.
SUTTON-IN-ASHFIELD and DISTRICT HYGIENIC LAUNDRY Co., LIMITED. This Company was registered on February 2nd, 1906, with a capital of £2,000 in £1 shares. The subscribers are:—F. Tudsbury, Fanny Tudsbury, Priscilla Tudsbury, J. T. Tudsbury, Kate Hibbert, Frank Fowe Hibbert (all of. Eastfield Side), and W. R. Marshall (Manager). Number of Directors 8. Registered Office: The Works, Central Street.
Messrs. F. Tudsbury & Sons, hosiery manufacturers, Eastfield Side; established 1856; number employed, male and female, between 100 and 110. On the site of these works, many years ago, stood a public-house known by the sign of the "Cock and the Garden," the only licensed-house in the vicinity in those days. It was an old wayside inn, and was a favourite spot for the sport of "cock fighting," ...
Mr. J. Pickard. hosiery manufacturer, Cursham Street; est. 1854; number employed, male and female, 50.
Messrs. J. Briggs & Sons, hosiery manufacturers, Cursham Street and Kirkby Road; established 1810; number employed, male and female, upwards of 300.
Mr. H. W. Cooke, hosiery manufacturer, Reform Street and the Old Mill; established 1836; number employed, male and female, upwards of 350.
Messrs I & R. Morley. hosiery manufacturers Penn Street. These works were opened in May, 1880, by the Midland Hosiery Company (now defunct), the present firm taking over the business in 1887. Manager, Mr. A. Grundy; assisted by Messrs. A. E. Broomhead, R Palmer, and W. Clarke. Number employed, over 400, males and females.
Mr. B. Walton, hosiery manufacturer, Stoney Street; est. 1837; number employed, male and female, 250.
Messrs. G. Walton & Sons, manufacturers of Shetland goods, double and single-edged lace, High Pavement; established 1856; number employed, male and female, 60.
Messrs. Dove & Clarke, hosiery manufacturers, Priestsic Road; est. 1898; employed, male and female, 50,
Mr. T. Slack, underwear manufacturer, Walton Street; est. 1896; number employed, male and female, 40.
Messrs. S. Eden &Sons, Ltd., hosiery manufacturers, the Hermitage Works (formerly of Rutland Street, Nottingham); established 1842; number employed, male and female, 200.
Mr. T. G. Buckland, hand hosiery manufacturer. Mount Street; established 1866; number employed, 18 males.
Mr. J. G Allsop. baker, High Street; established 1878. The business was previously in the hands of the late Mr. J. K. Daubeny, who succeeded his father. Number employed, 6. Mr. Allsop enjoys the distinction of being the oldest tradesman in the town at the present time.
Messrs. S. H. and F. W. Beeley. builders, contractors and farmers, High Pavement; est. 1743; employed 45.
Messrs. Samuel Meggitt and Sons, Ltd., manufacturers of fine glues and gelatine. Hamilton Road; established 1837; number employed, 65 males; 65 females.
Mr. H. Shaw, builder and contractor, and brickmaker, Eastfield Side: established 1868; number employed, 50 males; Mr. R. W. Doughty, manager.
Mr.T. Turner, builder and contractor, Hardwick-lane; established 1901; number employed, 10 males.
Mr. A. Walton, joiner, builder, and contractor, Crown Street: established 1900; number employed, 15 males.
Mr. H. Boot, builders' merchant, Forest Street; established 1869.
Mr. J. C. Sampson. J.P, trading as Sampson Bros., mineral manufacturer. Kirkby Road; established 1876; number employed. 20 males.
Mr. A. Marsh, tailor and outfitter. King Street: established 1876: number employed, male and female, 12.
Mr. W. J. Fox, tailor, clothier, outfitter, and boot maker, Outram Street. Sutton, and Nottingham; established 1886; number employed at both places, male and female, 20.
Mr G. J. Hepworth, tailor and outfitter, Low Street, Sutton, and at Shirehrook; established 1897; number employed at Sutton, male and male, 11.
Messrs. Miller & Co., drapers, &c., Marketplace; established 1810; number employed, male and female, between 20 and 30.
Messrs. H. North & Co., tailors and drapers, Low Street; est. about 1850; employed, male and female, 10.
New Hucknall Colliery, sunk 1878; number employed, 1,550. Bentinck Colliery, sank 1894; number employed, 1800. Sutton Colliery, sunk 1878; number employed. 800. The Wharf on the Lammas, Sutton, was opened in 1890. Summit Colliery, sunk 1887-8; number employed, 1300.
Messrs. Norton & Co., Ltd., shoe and slipper manufacturers. Station Road; established 1899; number employed, male and female, 48.
Messrs. Barringer, Wallis, & Manners, Ltd., chromo lithographers on tin and fancy decorated and novelty makers, Oddicroft Lane; opened 1897; number employed, male and female, 400. These works have been considerably enlarged since the present owners bought the building, about four acres now being used in connection with the works.
Messrs. A. W. Mason & Sons, fruiterers and produce merchants, Outram Street; established 1893; number employed, 15 males.
Messrs. Jarvis & Sons, monumental masons, &c„ Forest Street; established 1852; employed, 10 males.
Great Northern Railway, Outram Street; number employed in and about the Station, 21 males.
Midland Railway, Forest Street: number employed in and about the Town and Junction Stations, 84 males.
Sutton Junction Corn and Flour Mills, built in 1867 by the late Mr. W. D. Adlington, of Skegby; sole proprietor, Mr. W. Brook Stevens, of Skegby; number employed, 11 males; clerk and travellers, 2.
Formerly there were two Potteries of coarse earthenware at Eastfield Side belonging to Mr. Walter Straw, where garden pottery and glazed earthenware were manufactured.
Written 12 Jan 12 Revised 05 Apr 14 © by Gary Elliott