Needham 1913 Village Description

Extract from E.E. Needham 1913 descriptive Sutton Diary

held and kindly loaned by Ben Woolley

Huthwaite is a parish and town on the Derbyshire border, has a station 1 mile north-west called Whiteboro', on the Teversal branch of the Midland railway. Is 2½ miles west from Sutton-in-Ashfield station on the Ambergate, Mansfield and Southwell branch of the Midland railway. Is 5 miles west from Mansfield. It was formerly connected with Sutton in Church matters, the parishioners having acquired a right to burial and marriage at Sutton. The electric cars run from Huthwaite to Sutton and Mansfield daily. In the Mansfield Division of the county, Northern Division of the Wapentake of Broxtow, Mansfield Union, Mansfield Petty Sessional Division, and Mansfield County Court District. Is in Mansfield Rural Deanery, archdeaconry of Newark, and diocese of Southwell.   Governed by an Urban District Council, under the Local Government Act, 1894. Huthwaite was formerly known as Hucknall-under-Huthwaite, and changed to “Huthwaite“ in 1907. The manufacture of cotton and woollen hose is the principle trade, but there is also a large colliery, opened in 1877, giving work to upwards of 1,250 men and boys.   The principle landowners are the Duke of Portland K.G., G.C.V.O., P.C., who is lord of the manor, and the trustees of the late Robert Marsh Eckersley Wilkinson Dodsley Esq. of Skegby Hall.   The soil is clay, and sub-soil magnesian limestone.   Chief crops - wheat, oats and barley. Good pasture land.   The area is 1,119 acres. Annual Feast is held first week in September.   Rateable value, £17,807. Population (1911 census) 5,231.

Places of Worship

All Saints' Church, erected 1903. Vicar, Rev. Francis Newbold Beswick. Services 10.30 and 6.30.   Wesleyan Chapel, Primitive Chapel, and United Methodist Chapel. Sunday Services in Chapels 10.45 and 6.0.   The Cemetery, containing a mortuary chapel and an area of 3½ acres, was originally opened in 1889 with 2 acres. In 1912 1½ was added to. Controlled by the Urban District Council.

WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Mansfield Circuit).
  Huthwaite Chapel.- Society Stewards Messrs. M.A. Ball and W. Rockley, Main Street. Chapel-keeper, Mrs. Wrightman, Newcastle Street.
  Marriages may be solemnised in Sutton, Huthwaite, Kirkby and East Kirkby Chapels.
  Baptism Notice should be given to either Society Steward one day previous.
  Application for pews and sittings may be made through the chapel-keeper. Free sittings are reserved in all the chapels for the poor.

PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL. (Sutton-in-Ashfield and Kirkby Circuit)
  Huthwaite Primitive Methodist Chapel.- Society Steward, Mr. D. Hartshouse, Huthwaite.
  The rite of Baptism may be performed at any of the services, except on Sunday night. Notice must be given to the Society Stewards. Charge of Registration and certificate 6d. Marriages- Reform Street Chapel is licensed for the solemnization of marriages, without the presence of the Registrar. Twenty-one clear days notice must be given at the Registrar's office. Full information may be had from the ministers.

UNITED METHODIST CHAPEL (Ripley Circuit).

Huthwaite Chapel.- Society Steward, Mr. C.H. Coupe, Huthwaite.

The Working Men's Institute and Reading Rooms was erected at a cost of over £1,000, and opened in 1893.

Schools (Public Elementary) - Council, New Street, opened in 1902, for 360 boys and girls, and 260 infants. Thomas Goodall, master, Miss E. Shaw, infants' mistress.
  Church of England, Blackwell Road (mixed). The school was erected in 1868, the cost being borne principally by the Dowager Countess of Carnarvon, and will hold 370. Herbert A. Simpson, master.
  Common Road (Infants), opened in 1891, for 272. Miss Mary Cook, mistress.

Huthwaite Nursing Association - District Nurse Maitland, Q.N.
Railway Station, Whitboro'. James King, stationmaster.
Post, Money Order, and Telegraph Office. Mrs Lily Quale, sub-postmistress. Letters arrive from Mansfield at 7.0 a.m., 12.40 and 3.20 p.m.: dispatched at 10.45 a.m., 6.50 and 7.50 p.m. No dispatch on Sundays.

Huthwaite Urban District Council, 1912-13.

Chairman -- Councillor W. Bostock, J.P.     Vice-Chairman -- Councillor E.H. Lowe.
Members -- Councillors G. Adlington, M. Betts, T. Goodall, C.H. Coupe, G. Farnsworth, J. Fox, J.E. Gowter, H. Holt, B. Smith, A. Taylor, M. Taylor, F. Weston.
Surveyor, Sanitary Inspector, Gas and Water Engineer -- G. Bostock, M.I.Mun.E.,
Clerk to the Council -- E. R. Hibbert, 45 Westgate Mansfield.   Meetings held monthly.


Written 12 Sep 06 Revised 12 Oct 12 © by Gary Elliott