Hucknall-under-Huthwaite is a town and parish, united for ecclesiastical purposes to the parish of Sutton-in-Ashfield. It is on the Derbyshire border, with a station 1 mile north-west, called Whiteboro', on the Teversal branch of the Midland railway, 2½ miles west from Sutton-in-Ashfield station, on the Ambergate, Mansfield and Southwell branch of the Midland railway, and 5 west from Mansfield, in the Mansfield division of the county, northern division of the wapentake of Broxtow, union, petty sessional division and county court district of Mansfield, rural deanery of Mansfield, archdeaconry of Nottingham and diocese of Southwell. The "Local Government Act, 1858," was adopted by the township July 9, 1873, and was controlled by a Local Board, but under the "Local Government Act, 1894," the parish is now governed by an Urban District Council of 9 members. The church of all Saints, erected in 1903, is an edifice of local stone with Mansfield stone dressings, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave and north aisle, with the base only of a tower and one bell: the Rev. Francis Newbold Beswick, of St. Aidan's, has been curate in charge since 1900. The Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists and United Methodist Free Church have places of worship here. A cemetery of 2 acres, and containing a mortuary chapel, was opened in 1889; it is controlled by the Urban Council. The Working Men's Institute and Reading Room was erected in 1893 by the colliery company, at a cost of over £1,000. The manufacture of cotton and woollen hose is the principal trade of the place, but a large colliery, opened in 1877, gives employment to upwards of 1,250 hands. The Duke of Portland K.G., G.C.V.O. who is lord of the manor, the Dowager Countess of Carnarvon and Robert Marsh Eckersley Wilkinson Dodsley esq. J.P. of Skegby Hall, are the principal landowners. The soil is clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley, and good pasture land. The area is 1,199 acres; assessable value, 13,529; the population in 1891 was 3,022 and in 1901 was 4,076.
Public Elementary Schools (seniors, mixed & infants), erected in 1868, at a cost of about £800, principally defrayed by the Dowager Countess of Carnarvon, for 170 boys & girls & 270 infants; average attendance, 168 boys & girls & 250 infants. Another school, opened in 1891, for 310 boys & girls (juniors); average attendance, 300. Another school, opened in 1902, for 350 boys & girls & 260 infants; average attendance, 202 boys & girls & 202 infants.
Fulwood, formerly extra-parochial, is a parish on the borders of Derbyshire, 2 miles south-west from Sutton-in-Ashfield station, and 5 south-west from Mansfield, in the Mansfield division of the county, northern division of the wapentake of Broxtowe, union, petty sessional division and county court district of Mansfield. The farm known as "Crow Trees" is still extra-parochial. The Duke of Portland K.G. who is lord of the manor, and the trustees of the Rev. Charles Evans are the principal landowners. The soil is sandy; subsoil, loamy. The chief crops are wheat, oats, beans and turnips; and there is much ground in pasture. The area is 178 acres; assessable value, £73; the population in 1901 was 13. In 1884 detached parts of Sutton-in-Ashfield were amalgamated with Sutton parish.
Written 25 Nov 13 Revised 25 Nov 13 © by Gary Elliott