The Parliamentary Gazetteer
of
England and Wales

Ref: Published 1843; Vol. IV R-Z; Pages 262-3


GLASGOW: A. Fullarton & Co., 110, Brunswick Street;
5, Nicolson Street, Edinburgh; and 12, King's Square, Goswell Street Road, London.

Adapted to

THE NEW POOR-LAW, FRANCHISE, MUNICIPAL, AND ECCLESIASTICAL
ARRANGEMENTS, AND COMPILED WITH A SPECIAL REFERENCE
TO THE LINES OF RAILROAD AND CANAL COMMUNICATION,
AS EXISTED IN 1840-2

SUTTON-in-ASHFIELD, a parish in the north division of the hundred of Broxtow, union of Mansfield, county of Nottingham; 3½miles south-west by west of Mansfield, in the line of the Mansfield and Pinxton railway. The parish includes the hamlet of Hucknall-under-Huthwaite, with the extra-parochial district of Fulwood. Living, a perpetual curacy in the arch. of Nottingham, formerly in the diocese of York, now in the diocese of Lincoln; certified at £40, returned at £68 6s. 8d. ; gross income £118. Tithes, dues, &c., commuted in 1794. Patron, in 1841, the duke of Devonshire. The Independents, Baptists, and Methodists, have places of worship here; and there are 12 daily and 6 Sunday schools.   Charities, in 1829, £18 11s. per annum.   Poor rates, in 1838, £1,268 8s.   The inhabitants are chiefly employed in the cotton manufacture. Acres 6,040. Houses 1,056. A.P. £6,976. Population in 1801, 3,311; in 1831, 5,746.


Written 13 Mar 14 Revised 13 Mar 14 © by Gary Elliott