Just for the record. Finding this Nottinghamshire directory only really offers a little more descriptive detail for our related areas. These come under the collective main heading of Mansfield and Mansfield Woodhouse, with the villages of Sutton-in-Ashfield, Blidworth, Kirkby and Neighbourhoods. Listed tradesmen beyond the town are simply addressed to the nearest village, and there's a long list of professions including Sutton
Mansfield, a market town and parish, in the northern division of the wapentake of Broxtow; 138 miles N.N.W. from London, 14 N. by W. from Nottingham, 20 E.N.E from Newark, 12 S. from Worksop, 8 S.W. from Ollerton, about 10 N.E. from Alfreton (in Derbyshire), and about 13 S.E. from Chesterfield; situate on the road from London to Leeds, in a deep vale, in the ancient forest of Sherwood, and protected from the keen wintery winds by the surrounding eminences. The name of this place, formerly written Maunsfield, is derived from its situation on the small river Maun, which rises about three miles westward. The town is one of considerable antiquity, and is supposed to have been of Roman origin, coins of several Roman emperors of that nation having been found in and near the town; and the recent discovery of ancient relics, near Mansfield Woodhouse, is an additional proof that the Romans had a station or settlement in this vicinity.
In the Domesday survey
Maunsfield is mentioned as a royal manor, and successive monarchs have granted several privileges to it: a market was established by a charter of Henry III, and a fair by a grant from Richard II. When Sherwood forest was a royal chase, here was a royal villa, which the sovereigns kept as a hunting seat; and, to use the words of an old inquisition,
Henry Fauconberge held the manor of Cuckney in serjeantry, by the service of shoeing the king's palfrey, when the king came to Mansfield; and till year 1715 the courts for the forest of Sherwood were held here. The custom of "Gavelkind," whereby the lands of the father are equally divided, at his death, among all his sons, prevails in this manor; with which there is a small manor belonging to the dean of Lincoln.
The present town is large, in shape cruciform, and ancient in its aspect; within the last twenty years it has received considerable improvements; the streets are now well paved, and lighted with gas; the approach from the London road has been widened, and the market-place considerably enlarged.
The Moot-hall, erected in 1752, in the Market-place, besides the apartments for the transaction of public business, contains an assembly room. A small theatre is open during the summer months, and races take place at the July fair. Mansfield is the place appointed, by the new Boundary Act, for the election of members to represent the northern division of the county. The manufacture of stockings and lace employs a considerable portion of the population; and there are several cotton factories in the vicinity of the town, the machinery of which is put in motion by the Maun stream, which runs through it.
There are productive coal mines and stone quarries in the neighbourhood; and a rail-way, seven miles in length, gives great facility for the transmission of their produce to the town and neighbourhood parts.
Malting is carried on here very extensively; there are also many corn-mills, and two brass and iron foundries.
The places of worship are, the parish church, and chapels for independents, Wesleyan methodists, baptist, unitarians, and the society of friends. The church, which is dedicated to St. Peter, is an ancient and commodious structure, of various specimens of architecture, from the Norman style to the later English: the tower, which is surmounted by a low spire, is in the Norman and early English styles. The living of Mansfield is a vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Lord of the Manor of Mansfield, and in the patronage of the Duke of Portland, as lessee under the Dean of Lincoln; the Rev. T. L. Cursham, D.C.L. is the present incumbent. The free grammar school was originally founded in 1561 : it has four scholarships to Corpus Christi college, Cambridge, founded by Dr. Sterne, archbishop of York. There are two other charity schools for boys and girls; and the poor of Mansfield enjoy the benefit of many charitable bequests. The seats of this neighbourhood are numerous, and add a considerable consequence to it : the principals ones of note are, "Hardwick Hall," four miles west from Mansfield, belonging to the Duke of Devonshire; the like distance south is "Newstead Abbey," the seat of the late Lord Byron, now the property of Colonel Thomas Wildman; and at "Berry Hill" is the agreeable residence of Thomas Walker, Esq. Rock-valley, adjoining the north-east part of the town, has been formed by excavations in the rocky stratum, and the cliffs, with their ornamental foliage, are singularly picturesque. Few drives in the kingdom present a greater variety of landscape scenery than that exhibited between Mansfield and Worksop. The market, which is well supplied with corn and other necessaries, is held on Thursday; the fairs are, the first Thursday in April, the 10th of July, and the second Thursday in October : there is also a fair or market every second Thursday in the month, for cattle and hogs. The parish of Mansfield, (which has no dependent township) contained, according to the parliamentary returns for 1821, 7,861 inhabitants, and by those for 1831, 9,426.
POST OFFICE, Market-place, Mansfield, William Holt, Post Master. ...
SUTTON-IN-ASHFIELD is a parish and populous irregularly built village, in the same hundred as Mansfield, three miles S.W. of that town. The manufacture of stockings and bobbin-net, and some cotton factories, give employment to the great bulk of the population, and considerable prosperity to the place. The church, which is dedicated to St. Mary, stands at the north-western end of the village : the living is a perpetual curacy and the minister is the same (Rev. William Goodacre) who officiates at Mansfield-Woodhouse. There are also two baptist chapels, and one each for the independents and methodists. The parish (including FULWOOD, extra-parochial, and the hamlet of HUCKNALL-UNDER-HUTHWAITE,) contained, in 1831, 5,746 inhabitants.
Written 10 Aug 14 Revised 10 Aug 14 © by Gary Elliott