The emerging trade directories covering Nottinghamshire did not offer separate entry for this small hamlet of Hucknall-under-Huthwaite until 1832. Mansfield held principal status being our historic manor town in whose neighbourhood the parish of Sutton-in-Ashfield commonly offered localised description. However Hucknall-under-Huthwaite grew holding close ties within Suttons ancient administrations, thus our notable village gentry and business men were named, but simply addressed upon westerly borders at Hucknall.
Sutton-in-Ashfield is a parish and populous in a regularly built village, in the same hundred of Mansfield, three miles south west of that town. The manufacturing of stockings, bobbin-net and some cotton sundries, give employment to the chief of the population, and considerable prosperity to the places. The living of the church is in the gift of the Duke of Portland, and the curate is the same as of Mansfield Woodhouse. In 1821 the number of inhabitants was 3,943, but since that census it is estimated that the population has increased to 5,000 persons.
Burton Benjamin, Bobbin Net Maker
Burton Benjamin, Shopkeeper & Dealers in Sundries
Burton John, Shopkeeper & Dealers in Sundries
Butterworth John, Publican - The Gate
Chambers Hannah, Publican - The White Swan
Chambers Thomas, Corn Miller
Haddington Robert, Shopkeeper & Dealers in Sundries
Jackson Luke Reverend, Gentry & Clergy
Marshall Matthew, Stone Mason
Marshall Thomas, Publican - The Shoulder of Mutton
Mellors John, Coal Merchant
Nixon Charles Reverend, Gentry & Clergy
Ward Richard, Shopkeeper & Dealers in Sundries
Written 19 Dec 04 Revised 23 Feb 09 © by Gary Elliott