One of the more notable surnames to appear recorded through 19th century developments in Huthwaite is a very influential Boot family. Heading this household was Eleazor Boot who, born in 1780 appears having been endowed with an educational upbringing before starting family life around the Chesterfield area.
Long before census records existed covering their progressions southward through adjacent Derbyshire, Eleazor married Rose who dutifully raised and supported a growing family team. It was Eleazor who initially gained skills and connections for working between the growing number of local coal pits employed directly by major landowners who sought out richer deeper seams reaching into Nottinghamshire. But his earliest connections with Hucknall-under-Huthwaite started in a different role, giving nonetheless a lasting legacy.
Eleazor Boot did quickly adopt a strong commitment to the Wesleyan beliefs, when finding by year 1807 he had fully converted too that increasingly popular Methodist movement. His preaching began, leading firstly into gaining a chapel at Hardstoft before pioneering introduction of those Wesleyan teachings into our rural village a few years later. Historical accounts state he started meetings here in Hucknall-under-Huthwaite inside a disused Frameworkers Cottage addressing the Royal Oak Yard once sited upon Hopkin Lane. He soon rallied a good local following, and managed to raise funds for siting and erecting in 1815 what became described years later still being a
neat chapel and Sunday School here, on the market corner.
A fuller history of that Wesleyan church is separately featured. Those pages can reveal a little more about Eleazor by detailing his devotional role as a founding leader of the Huthwaite Methodist movements. His relocation into this village came later, following the death of wife Rose. They were both originally buried here side by side inside their own chapel grounds. But that old past site was eventually sold off after the growing Wesleyan congregation built and moved on into their new larger chapel. That dated building is shown standing today after adopting renovating use just keeping an historic reminder of Eleazor Boot.
Turning back here to the married life of Eleazor and Rose, the earliest generations of this Boot family were firstly identified from 1841 Skegby Census returns shown listing a household spanning three generations.
Skegby Census 1841
Eleazor Boot 62
Rose Boot 65
John Boot 40
Ann Boot 41
Eleazor John 21
Rose Anne 8
John Thomas 6
The aging couple head their son John with wife Ann while also grandparenting their growing family. Rose Anne aged 8 proves born May 1833 originating from Chesterfield and the family is claimed once residing in Newton Old Hall.
Their Skegby addressing places them modestly in that ancient neighbourhood when it shared natural exposure of coal seams upon meadows where Squire Dodsley employed majority. Like other gentry realising profitable gains from labouring coal miners, they preferred passing all responsibilities onto Agents. Eleazor Boot was among the first fulfilling that specialised role, and having displayed strong management skills through his active church leadership, his professional and evolving surveying services assisted by son John were becoming regionally demanded.
Perhaps as grandparents Eleazor and Rose could begin affording some relative comfort for retirement, but on discovering the family next listed by 1851 census, there appears some dramatically sad changes.
Hucknall-under-Huthwaite Census 1851
John Boot - senior 50 Mineral Surveyor
Ann Boot - wife 50 Wife
Eleazor John 31 Clerk
Rose Anne - daughter 18 Teacher
Paulina - daughter 13
Andrew David - Son 6 Born Skegby
Eleazor Boot - father 71 Retired Agent
Firstly found is the whole family group relocated into Hucknall-under-Huthwaite before recording the 1851 census. Listed here now heading this household is son John and wife Ann. Defining his occupation Mineral Surveyor offers nearest year for him taking over the family business. The noted retirement of Eleazor lacks mention for his wife Rose, whose undated death obviously falls within the past decade.
Knowing Rose was laid to rest in their Huthwaite Chapel grounds may well be reason enough for the family moving closer, especially after learning the previously listed youngest named Alfred died in childhood. There was one unreadable entry, confirmed to be another son Andrew David who, by age born at Skegby, helps narrow the year of moving after 1845. Children's ages vary greatly, presuming Eleazor John and then Rose Anne where both named equally reflecting parents and grandparentage. Another son did miss 1851 listing, although when aged 16 John Thomas could be readily deduced attending higher schooling, as he next appears a fully qualified Civil and Mining Engineer FGS & FNGS successfully lifting business interests.
Hucknall Huthwaite census 1861 - District No.12
- Entry Address 158 Hucknall - Boot
ThomasBoot - Head M59 Mining Engineer Notts Hucknall
Ann Boot - wife F60 wife Notts Mansfield
Andrew David - son M16 Mining Engineer Skegby
Eleazor Boot - M85 Ret. Coal Agent Notts Hucknall
Paulina Berkham - dau F23 School Mistress Derbs
- Entry Address 159 Hucknall - Boot
John Thomas Boot - Head M26 Mining Engineer Derbs
Harriet Boot - wife F26 Surveyors wife Gloc
Blanche H Isabel - dau F02 Notts Hucknall
Arthur C J Boot - son M2m Notts Hucknall
Sarah ?allsto? - Serv F12 House Servant Notts Mansfield
Difficulty remains exactly siting any of Eleazors homes, when still only verbally mapping areas by directional referencing between past residents.
Reliant on folklore for agreement on potential chapel grounds lent some intrigue for also discovering these neighbouring addresses. Outlined paths terminating somewhere near the Peacock Hotel strongly suggest small past terracing as also intimated for a previous Skegby dwelling. Rented accommodation would well have suited movements nearer regular employment and the firm did become involved surveying for New Hucknall Colliery. It would simply prove pleasing if able to tie up any historical significance realised after successfully and personally establishing Boots Yard, again in close proximity around the market area.
Written 24 May 04 Revised 06 Apr 09 © by Gary Elliott