This section of Sutton Road covers south side, facing Huthwaite Bottoms heading up towards Mill Lane.
Huthwaite Library prominently stands alone receiving final stages of a full renovation within a few years before marking its 2013 centenary opening. It now marks end for this side Sutton Road, where an adjacent car park had previously sited Huthwaite Urban District Council offices. A few small cottages either side entrance into a recognised Columbia Street, once slightly extended this main road addressing. The B6026 through road does continue running westward, but rear of this point starts Blackwell Road addressing.
Properties remain little changed when comparing the tram terminus scene with 2006 roadworks. The bus route serves spread of a much larger population, although far fewer pedestrians use the vastly improved pavements since better resurfaced roads catered for increasing dominance of privately owned motor cars.
Juxtaposing late 19th century view from off the Bottoms exposes the newly built pit houses now privatised. Road can be seen edging a natural contour, falling south across wheat fields owned by Hopkins. Sign incidentally advertises AE Simpson, Wheelwright. Those fields were also purchased later by New Hucknall colliery for the recreational welfare of this expanding mining community. Presenting those gardened sports grounds to District Councillors added Sutton Road main gates into the Huthwaite Welfare Park.
A bungalow filled gap beside gates of the tree fronted Welfare grounds, inside which a WWII air raid shelter had been sited. Otherwise the homes either side this steep section are original blocks of pit housing up to a more recently developed Mill Close. Naming reflects older significance for a large lofty plot between an original Mill Lane atop, and finds later historic interest after first siting a very early 19th century windmill.
One Sutton historian noted village folklore, that long after claimed the old windmill was firstly replaced by foundations designed for siting a parish church. There's no found evidence confirming this or most other locally told tales. The idea may have arisen because the prominent location could present a highly visible church steeple widely favoured for attracting parishioners, adding fact the known purchaser did prove very influential with later All Saints construction and shared wider generosity between other Methodist causes.
Simeon Watson came to Hucknall Huthwaite filling dual roles of manager surveyor for the New Hucknall Colliery Company from 1879. Responsible for purchasing land and construction, he also required a fitting residence, to be sited upon this large prime plot directly overlooking the colliery yard and worker tenants.
That very grand residence called Mill House was next adopted by a Dr Gaston. He added a small surgery room fronting Sutton Road. Dr Clitheroe apparently joined that practice living across the road before move into a Huthwaite Clinic sited below New Street. The vacated house is last shown circa 1976, just before making way for a likewise named community centre, which centrally started serving a featured Mill Close.
Original entry into Mill Lane will separately address historic interest below corner. It offered New Hucknall miners regular walks leading directly into that lower Pit Yard, but may now cause some confusion after recent residential expansion adopted name for extending a former Pit Road estate from off Common Road.
I'm still intrigued to learn more about these properties when first situated between Mill Lane and Huthwaite Cemetery. More particularly perhaps regarding the semi's numbered 98 and 100. The late Bill Harrison claimed knowledge they were built as a detached residence, and later converted by Roy Walton. A Dr Wilbraham may have run his practice nearest Mill Lane.
Reports are found backing up Bill's suggestion that some form of a club house had been opened directly opposite the Portland Arms. My specific aim is primarily identifying location of recreational rooms offered to local unemployed following reported 1932 years of an industrial global depression.
That unaddressed Huthwaite Social Centre was opened by the Duchess of Portland in March 1935. But reportage only gives small clue to its whereabouts when she also furnished a bay window seat.
Written 28 Aug 13 Revised 30 Aug 13 © by Gary Elliott