Modern addressing along Sutton Road refers to a half mile section of continuous roadway all nationally classified the B6026. That fuller length stretching between Blackwell and Sutton-in-Ashfield junctions had carved the most ancient, and certainly far busiest route through Huthwaite based on historic parish necessity, plus market connections all once covered by Mansfield Manor affairs.
Managing to cut a relatively straight route through the rural hamlet of Hucknall-under-Huthwaite may have initially long recognised a simply named Hucknall Lane. Directly linking scattered farms through fields and meadows in ancient parish borders included some heavier loads of early mined coals adding to the carting of farm produce destined for markets.
Haulage from over Derbyshire borders next identifies Blackwell Turnpike Rd stretching full path through Huthwaite. Busier unmade country tracks created far greater problems for larger market areas where they'd mainly converge.
Roadway maintenance became afforded by 1764 Act of Parliament allowing toll bars to be erected for charging passage by horse plus weight of cart. At the Alfreton Road junction where Sutton Cemetery has since been located, is where a Hucknall Lane entered Sutton Woodhouse through these actual toll gates, furthermore identifying it was part of the Mansfield Turnpike. This 1872 scene records final year when all town turnpikes became abolished, to begin passing on the costly matter of road repairs through Local Boards, Urban District Councils, until Nottinghamshire County authorities took responsibility.
Marking out 60 foot width to assert and ensure future Sutton Road status was one of the Manor Lords duties commissioned 1794 by the hereditary titled Duke of Portland. A Huthwaite windmill had stood aside highest point when one early beer house emerged opposite side firstly signed The Gate. Pub name suggests best approximation of where an indistinguishable east border separated this secondary Huthwaite settlements individual growth inside principle Sutton boundaries. This unlined highway directly leading to the ancient parish church through rural countryside actually remained little changed towards ending a 19th century, until the New Hucknall Colliery company began housing its workforce to initially stretch village boundaries along extreme east length.