The prominent corner of Market Street has been a Co-operative store since year 2000. Initially sited there, the first Huthwaite chapel was founded and built 1815 by Eleazor Boot. He and wife Rose were buried inside this chapel yard, until followers moved into their 1890 church on Sutton Road, and sold off this land. In the 1861 census, which was actually partly conducted by their son John, he offered directions which suggests the first few dwellings along this short roadway were initially given reference upon Chapel Street.
After reinterring their bodies, that old chapel then made way for Huttons store. Those who could remember shopping there claimed its front paving did utilise a few old headstones. At around the same time just before ending that century, other buildings filled full length of that south facing side, firmly establishing the modern postal addressing given to Market Street with additional shop fronts and commercial interests.
The present Huthwaite Post Office was newly sited here to fill space left from 1950's slum clearances. These hundred year old cottages had been sited adjacent the old Wesleyan Chapel. They were addressed as Pear Tree Cottages, fronting right side access into Allsops Yard, that because of its shape was far better known as Pudding Bag Yard. Smith's bungalow then privately closed a walkway linking Sherwood Street.
To aid pedestrian shoppers, Market Street was firstly designated a one way road in 2010. Entrance off the main highway comes where that divides name towards Blackwell Road and Sutton Road. From off corner of Blackwell Road, all older properties forming left side of Market Street were replaced by 1980's housing.
Sutton Road ends on right corner where Woodend & Sons first took up business entering Market Street. It later provided one of two known Huthwaite banks listed 1932 upon Market Street. The property lastly served as a tanning salon, and even though the 2002 business next door may have attracted wider custom, it was not the type welcomed by residents who fought for its closure. Following these final short term commercial ventures, both premises stood unused awhile before becoming fully converted into available 2012 flats.
Gap on the right kept rear access to a 1902 Primitive Methodist chapel, concealed by similarly dated shops.
Flats disguise original shop frontages on right, where Havenhand once proudly traded as a Grocery dealer. Mrs Jane Havenhand gained address No1. Next door at No3 belonged to painter decorator, Arthur Gunby.
Next block includes large rear yards once locating a Huthwaite Hosiery Manufacturing Company. Most of it haa been commandeered by a now well established SSS Camping Centre. Although clearly designed for housing, after Dr Joseph Gaston took up residence, he turned No 7 into a surgery waiting room. His move into Simeon Watson's vacated Mill House in 1933 presented Dr Vance with this small surgery while still a resident in The White Hart public house.
Opened among early commercial fronts of Ellispool, perhaps the first Hucknall Huthwaite Post Office first asserted a newly recognised addressing for the Market Place and Street. Before its relocation onto Sutton Road, this witnessed all other properties fully lining opposite side of recognisable Market Street. Birkhead and Evans ran a drapery store as one of the last business names addressed here, prior full demolition.
Another Indian restaurant opened 2011, taking over a former bakery that lastly served Tastybake into 2006.
This towering pair of properties have each provided a familiar menu choice. Adding Chinese cuisine to traditional fish and chips saw several name changes, whilst Huthwaite Tandoori introduced alternatively favoured Indian dishes since 1990. Two front doors previously separated the sexes for hairdressing. Ben Smith later mixed stylish cuts for all, whereas other barbers catered for a shave with short back and sides. A discreetly sited bungalow behind their shop premises provided the couples home. No 15 identified a hairdresser in 1932, started presumably by father Robert Smith. The property itself however, actually began business as Coupe's Boot warehouse, proposed 1897 and listed in 1900 under an influential Charles Henry Coupe.
Juxtaposing this 2006 scene with that around a century before notices some remarkable changes, mainly attributed to the advancements in public and then modern personal transport. After renaming Station Road a tramway almost reached here to invited workers into localised daily commutes. Then the omnibus took over roads and gave dutiful purpose for tidying an open Market Place, until motorcars asserted busy priority.
Written 25 Jan 13 Revised 21 Aug 13 © by Gary Elliott