The Huthwaite Market Place was never actually granted a trading licence. Some shop front businesses did emerge from around 1850, including the first Hucknall Huthwaite Post Office. They certainly influenced its higher commercial status, although the naming of an open Market Place was like that generally given elsewhere when recognising a public square or village green.
When mapping this hamlet of Hucknall-under-Huthwaite in 1805, it showed the core had been dissected by four major radiating lanes, all connected by one residentially lined Town or Main Street. In the middle was left an open area, forming a triangular hub. Shown here 1835 is how that became newly cornered by notable properties. In 1815 the first Wesleyan chapel defined the north corner. 1829 dates a future White Hart upon far southwest, whilst the east area already sites first cluster of those commercial properties that were also informally still addressed upon Ellispool.
The above map may indeed show where "the Pool" naturally gathered upon, and initially gave name for the area left open to present a Market Place. Planned drainage eventually cleared the central space, which continued to host large public gatherings and celebrations. The surname Ellis is presumably linked with building these earliest properties adjacent the Pool, and although they acquired formal Market Place and then Market Street addressing, they were always recognised for historically forming Ellispool.
Ellispool shop fronts are visible upon the page separately covering length of Market Street. The former Post Office locations relate influential occupation by Stemson, Hill and Lowe, who used the rear yard for brewing ale. Exact dates are unconfirmed, but the Ellispool Yards were cleared circa 1960. That left room for building 1980's housing, which joins original 1887 terracing to share modern Market Place addressing.
While the Market Place was adopted to meet modern demands into presenting a public car park, this short row of terraced homes retained its name with residential addressing. Rear yards directly back onto similar styled properties built 1887 facing Blackwell Road. A through jennel connects that main road with this market area, suggesting all were built around same year. In the middle stands an accountants office, lastly replacing a Mansfield Building Society branch. But it was my mothers grandfather Alfred Stones who first started a Cobblers shop business there from his home parlour. A detached property cornering Main Street is now found dateable from proposals submitted 1906 by a Mr W Brunt concerning his shops and clubhouse, recognising the Clubby long before Ladbrooks established their betting office far end the central block.
Residential and commercial properties completely lined the facing side of Market Street by 1900. Removing earlier Ellispool properties reveals below a barren looking Market Place. It was first allocated a bus stop in 1932, the year when 101 services took over public transport duties from the previous tramway. Omnibus drivers simply found it provided room for easier turning. Some residents raised complaints, but the Urban Council merited it not only safer, but also a good reason for tidying up an otherwise infrequently used area.
A few barrow sellers and a weekly fresh fish van made short term visits upon the open layout, although it only really served for hosting occasional public celebrations. Ending the Boer war is earliest reported, lastly following a parade ground for training world war troops plus a Home Guard, while siting an air raid shelter fronting the Clubby doorway. Between conflicts however, once came annual excitement of siting a traveling circus. Rallying a traditional Whitsuntide parade long retained the only regular attraction prior modernising.
Present layout displays dedication
in memory of Malcolm Lee, County Councillor for Huthwaite 1973 - 1983. Ashfield District Council annually plant a lit christmas tree , inviting a short church service inside the bordered free car park. Lined by trees, one
is planted as a memorial to the work of Councillor David Ayres, Ashfield District Council 1979 - 1999. The first decade of 2000 saw the Market Place designated a bottle bank and recycling collection centre, until the Council introduced household green, blue and then brown bin collections. Main bus terminal retained its last given position, whereas motorists became restricted to one Market Street entrance. Reversing that layout in 2010, came from decision to turn that busier road into a one way system, simply to aid safer crossing by pedestrian shoppers.
Written 25 Jan 13 Revised 11 Jun 13 © by Gary Elliott