Dividing enclosed forest waste lands begun 1794, allotted three small enclosures spanning just 2 rood 1 perch to Charles Ellis. His allotment 11 is the one of interest here, because that covered east corner of a triangular area spanning a Hucknall Green.
Defining north side the Green would mark out a private lane off the main Blackwell Turnpike Road leading direct path into Harper Lane. Enclosing Ellis's small allotment was claimed to retain association well after a postal NG17 2QY addressed Market Street.
Oldest residential properties long after known as Ellispool, has suggested description taken from facing Ellis Lane. Neither is found claiming any formal type of addressing. In fact this pathway didn't appear meriting any address when census takers began plotting ambiguous routes between their easier recognised occupants premises, plus grocer Charles Ellis was ordered to surrender himself at the Swan declaring 1806 bankruptcy. His estate was divided for 1807 sale. Announcing further 1829 sale of properties with some belonging to a past Charles plus Samuel Ellis, ought realise their small holdings had little time influencing basic lane status.
Surname was nonetheless locally remembered from when undated references identified Ellispool properties, so maybe after more 1860s dwellings started lining the lane, he became favourably acknowledged recognising earliest historic association.
Another obvious reason for historically describing Ellispool, is 1835 mapping confirms those properties stood upon the enclosure of allotments first made to Charles Ellis, while still accepting nearest pooling of water on former waste land commons. Another even older structure first faced this lane. A chapel presented on outer north corner was built long before a more influential Boot family furthermore claimed these well established and still domineering residences.
Having founded a Hucknall-under-Huthwaite Wesleyan following, Eleazor Boot erected the first chapel here in 1815. Skegby 1841 census next ties death of wife Rose with their son John timely relocating the entire family nearer their chapel yard burial ground. His own son John Thomas later claims a neighbouring 159 Hucknall address when John partly conducted that 1861 census. He did actually record earliest street suggestion, somewhat biased when describing further dwellings along Chapel Street. Adjacent
Pear Tree Cottages fronting Allsops Yard became locally known as Pudding Bag Yard, off Market Street.
Corner chapel made way for Huttons store filling 1890s length of Market Street, with prominent exposure facing an empty Market Place. Acceptable modern naming may convey a central hub supporting rapidly radiating village expansion, although looking down the street finds mostly houses beyond Coupes Boot Factory. Looking upwards saw start of commercial interests.
Beastall Greengrocers claimed bottom corner, where shops later filling south east grounds must have have been well established before 1880s development along entire facing side. Clearance of all those older substandard properties was replaced by 1980s housing, Many shops were converted into housing, after former houses had conversely become used for businesses.
Entering Market Street is where Woodhead & Sons took up business cornering Sutton Road. That later provides one of two known Huthwaite banks listed 1932 upon Market Street. Final tanning salon might have attracted wider custom into 2006, as could a next door business if complaints from young mothers hadn't discovered unlicensed use. Closures presented 2010 flats.
Reasoning for concealing a 1902 Primitive Methodist chapel directly behind those similarly dated shops cannot be explained. Aside rear access gap, more flats have long disguised original shop fronts where Havenhand began proudly trading as a Grocery dealer. Mrs Jane Havenhand held address No1, while next door at No3 belonged to painter decorator, Arthur Gunby.
Further block was clearly designed for housing. Dr Joseph Gaston took up residence turning No 7 into a surgery waiting room. Dr Vance extended use while lodging at The White Hart Inn. Large rear yards established a Huthwaite Hosiery Manufacturing Company. Signs show a well established SSS Camping Centre commandeered most of these properties until 2017.
William Hill began running a Hucknall Huthwaite Post Office from his Ellispool home following marriage into the Boot family. Samuel Lowe returned those Royal Mail services back to their origins, as seen when Birkhead and Evans drapery store recognised another business name prior full row demolition. A 2010 juxtaposed view spanning around a century can date introduction of a one way system to mainly assist pedestrian shoppers crossing a very busy road fronting current post office.
A renamed Station Road identified advancement into public transportation. An electric tramway enabled workers to make daily commutes until an 1932 omnibus service mastered the roads, making purposeful use of an open Market Place turning point. Motorcars thereafter asserted busiest priority for a car park, when Tasty Bake used to employ a small fleet of delivery vans.
Twinned towering premises date from an influential Charles Henry Coupe proposing his 1897 Boot Warehouse. Title stones remained evident above adjoining hairdressing salons. Number 15 identified Robert Smith in 1932, where one of his sons Ben went on stylishly catering for both sexes, homed in a discreet rear bungalow. Huthwaite Tandoori introduced alternatively favoured Indian restaurant menus in 1990. Traditional Fish & Chip shops lost appetites through broader choice of food outlets.
Fred Hutton has a final 1932 listing at his Market Place grocery store, where some claimed old headstones were embedded among paving slabs. It was sited upon the former chapel front graveyard, although Boots remains were carefully reinterred in Blackwell Churchyard. Living memories should still recall E Wilbourn Ltd running general stores before Agency Sales. Foreign custom of arrogantly slapping change into palm of your hand didn't win much Huthwaite approval, but selling PC components from rear room was not just personally appreciated. Later sign denoted start of a more lucrative computer business requiring expansion elsewhere. Late 1990s takeover by the Co-op remembers extensive rework ensuring stone construction fulfilled modern requirements. Despite doorway position of a fronting street sign, their extensions preferred a Main Street address.