This once rural hamlet of Hucknall-under-Huthwaite emerged into the 19th century, with a Main Street already housing an increasing number of working family's. Dwellings initially continued to favour full length along this streets west side, where natural springs beneath The Falls area, and then easily sunk water wells best supported residential expansion well into the 20th century. It does appear to have been initially called Town Street before deciding on adopting Main Street as a postal address. Exploring these past yards follows full path northward, passing the Market Place on right, where yards called Ellispool and then Allsop's faced a renamed Chapel Street.
Some Yard names reflect a neighbouring business, although they commonly addressed a cluster or row of rentable dwellings privately developed by the surnamed landowner. Those off Main Street began housing rising numbers largely employed in the Stockinger cottage industry, until New Hucknall Colliery invited the greatest influx of miners. Wider developments presents existing housing mostly dating afer 1890. But even rapidly expanding old yards and newly emerging streets couldn't cope with full demand for accommodation. A 1924 shortage of housing, is highlighted by the difficulty in collecting rates from many shared lodgings.
All poorly designed yards and several fine houses fell to clearance orders by around 1960. Old yard layouts found lastly mapped in 1951 from my grandparents purchase, are highlighted from an auctioneers sale of the entire late Hopkins estate at the Peacock Hotel.
Hopkins relates a family of wealthy landowners, who'd had the double distinction of not just claiming lower Yard cornering south end of Main Street, but also for initially addressing Hopkins Lane. He built one row of housing lining that later renamed Blackwell Road, but possessed several other plots amongst Huthwaite.
This once grand four bedroomed residence is where Thomas Hopkins himself resided at 10 Main Street, up until the London Gazette announced his death dated 10 January 1951. Solicitors Bryan & Armstrong sold off his late estate by auction at the Peacock Hotel. This property boasted the rare luxury of not only a plumbed bathroom but also an indoor W.C.. It sold for £920, and has thereafter fallen into a neglected state while owned by Bettison. The marriage between Roy Bettison and Jackie Liniker presents my current landlady, whose father purchased an adjacent block of housing, fronting past Hopkin yard cottages and outbuildings cornering and extending further down the formerly known Hopkins Lane.
A Peacock Yard could only be loosely suggested before removing a few cottages to expand the Peacock Hotel car park. Driveway entrance is sign posted as the roadway through to "Boots Yard and the Orchards." These modernised areas have been developed to privately contain a few bungalows, and are unique in retaining older type of addressing. Boots Yard could however also be considered an anomaly. Unlike all communal yards, Boots Yard was rarely addressed when private grounds contained just one family built mansion, recognising address for "The Orchards".
A date stone set above the former property doorway reading JTB 1872 is retained in the garden wall of Mrs Iris Evans, This is fully recognised as John Thomas Boot, presenting last link in Hucknall Huthwaite for the influential Boot family
The Orchards was built upon land purchased 1869 from, and actually containing the Burrows private burial grounds amongst its own orchard. It offered a comfortable retirement for the Boot relatives, and continued to display all signs of wealth when local Councillor Charles Henry Coupe took over the grand residence.
Before Coupe however, this vast property was taken over by a lesser known John William Hick. Identified by Kelly's 1900 directory simply a private resident at The Orchards strongly suggests a man of considerable affluence, despite presenting a surname so far less recognised amongst Huthwaite affairs. Nevertheless, John Hick is identified as secretary of the New Hucknall Colliery Institute into 1912, and was listed among notable mourners present at the 1933 funeral of that pits former manager, the esteemed Mr Watson.
Fortunately, the next occupant, Mr Charles Henry Coupe was not as shy making the news. This successful Huthwaite businessman ran the boot warehouse upon Market Street, amongst other interests. Failing to fully repair one of his properties in Tibshelf, caused this Nottinghamshire magistrate to face penalty by the Blackwell Rural Council in 1932, which brings to light his present home address then at The Orchards.
Mr and Mrs Coupe frequently hosted many reported social gatherings and various fund raising events at the Orchards and in its grounds. Which makes it rather a shame no photographs have yet come to light. Mr C H Coupe was himself an influential businessman, but even this councillor and magistrate had trouble with youngsters scrumping and damaging his orchard trees, until caught by the arresting P.c. Marshall.
Research continues, but so far finds last reference towards addressing The Orchards when Mr CH Coupe stood as a candidate for a newer Huthwaite Ward in the 1935 Sutton Council Election. This obviously leaves it unclear just how long the Coupe family retained occupancy, or how the property fell into a state of neglect. Its been noted for sheltering WWII evacuees, and any further information would be welcomed. An unstoppable demolition order was issued around the year 1960, when also seeing out all old styled yards.
Another influential Hucknall Huthwaite family name is recognised asserting Wright's Yard. Upon corner of Chesterfield Road, farmer Robert Wright fronts his Workpeoples Inn. Adjacent was the family's Main Street butchers shop, where Kath Wright retired in 2003 and then sold off that last remaining private yard in 2013.
While these businesses welcomed the newly opened Pit Yard, it was pathway between them that led into Wrights Yard. Directly behind his beerhouse, Robert built a row of housing with intention of helping home the overwhelming number of arriving mine workers. Facing the lane, these also address Harper Terrace.
John Pilsworth must prove an enterprising fellow. In 1862 he fulfilled the multi roles of Farmer, Butcher and Hosiery Agent. Holding same positions in 1984, John Berriff Pilsworth is also joined by Hosier G Pilsworth. Swanson Avenue not only replaced entrance into Pilsworth Yard, but also extended across the following lost Yards. The boot repairer J Martin fronts his shop in 1945 adjoining Wrights butchers. This also homed the related donors Bradshaw family when cornering entrance into a small curved yard joining up Club Yard.
A rare glimpse of yards rooftops is revealed in centre background, over a packed Market Place audience.
Nellie Marson was addressed at number 16 in Pilsworth's Yard, where Elijah Stones died aged 77 years. In same year, one house owned by Mr A Taylor focused 1932 debate between Huthwaite Councillors in regard to the 1930s Slum Act. They'd issued notice condemning his old cottage, and had power to charge cost of forcefully demolishing it themselves. His unapproved improvements wishing to convert the property into a wash house, were deemed not as important as providing healthy air for other neighbouring cottages.
Wider entrance into Club Yard off Main Street was via the curving Pilsworths Yard. A detached house took other corner into Swanson Avenue, after the next pair covered all trace of the former chapel come Gem Picture Palace. A narrow walk way had existed between the next block of homes to also gain entry onto the Club Yard road fully connecting Back Lane. Part of that route is retained to provide rear access behind Swanson Avenue homes.
The actual club that owned land and properties giving this yards name, was in fact a charmingly titled Good Intent Friendly Society. Their interests dissolved by an Insurance Act finds 1913 auctioned sale in Huthwaite at the Peacock Hotel for three plots, two relating these Club Yard lands.
Six houses owned by the society had been let by John Copestake plus others at a rental of £51 2s 8d per annum. These were purchased by Mr. G W Briggs of Sutton, for £309. Another piece of land in Club Yard comprising about 128 sq. yards was bought by Mr. G. Bostock for £15.
The Bower family album presents Miss Eliza Ann Hallam, as a wed Mrs Carrington residing at 37 Club Yard. Press reports uncover others.
1917 No 37 The Kilcline family notify death of son Private John Cline
1932 at No 28 a case of child cruelty jails Baden Powell Hayes
1932 at No 51 Mrs. H. Stopps dies at the age of 61.
1933 and the Gascoigne family lose eldest miner son Samuel.
In 1935 a demolition order issued by Huthwaite Urban Councillors on Nos. 22, 24, 26 and 28 was successfully appealed against at the Mansfield Court. Westminster Bank acted as executors of a deceased Mr H W Cook. Significant alterations were demanded, though the high cost at near £50 per dwelling seemed an acceptable future investment for those Bank trustees.
Main Street entrance into Swan Yard would have been gained opposite The Park, before that residentially recognised Sherwood Street. Its since been covered by semi detached houses, but leaves no doubt how it acquired streeted name.
A fuller titled White Swan beerhouse proves to be one, if not the earliest named historic pub to emerge into the 1800's. Hezekiah Holland presents one of the more notable keepers, while the old yard cottages homed his brother Jeremiah and their retired father.
Owners of Swan Yard were given fair warning and estimates in 1932 by the Huthwaite Council surveyor, to meet all necessary improvements. Unfortunately without offering greater detail. Other residents reportedly include John Dobbs at number 24 in 1926. Identified afterwards, is a Mr Berresford. George Moakes left his widow at number 8 in 1935, and similarly, Thomas Sissons after living there 44 years. In that same year after bitter schooling disputes, Jonathan Peace at number 31 was amongst other Huthwaite residents fined for not regularly sending their children to Sutton Road classes.
The Home Ales Brewery took dray deliveries off Back Lane before transferring licence in 1956. Eric Jones told of being newly wed when taking residence in the disused pub, seeing out the derelict yards final years.
A surname certainly recognised among wider district dating back centuries. Yet it remains unclear exactly which individual could rightfully claim asserting Sampson's Yard in Hucknall Huthwaite.
Past entry off Main Street looks privately adopted to site a car port fore left. Between the acceptably styled fronting homes, access gained to earlier housing upon Sampsons Yard formed another narrow street path connecting up Back Lane.
Dating this yard is suggested by reported deaths. A former Blackwell Road School teacher known as Miss Clarke became Mrs Hannah Maskell who died in 1932 aged 67. Along with two sisters named Mrs A Drabble and Mrs T G Evans, all born in Hucknall Huthwaite on Sampson's Yard.
Mr Luke Allsop was likewise born c1864 in Sampson's Yard. This local sportsmen was the youngest of 12 children, outliving them all by reaching 70 years of age. He'd stayed in the yard 34 years before setting up his marital home nearby on Main Street. A 76 year old Mrs Sarah Ann Goddard calculates her 1859 birthday in the yard, where Mrs Elethea Roberts from Pinxton actually passed away at number 63 that same November 1935. Chris Shaw confirms birth of a granmother here in 1906, after Mr Arthur and Mrs Emma Fox originally named Miss Mary Ellen Fox.
Shown mapped in 1884 is a baron area named The Falls, covering the top east side of Main Street over a footpath that later forms New Street. Its generally understood this derived its name from the natural flow of spring water falling off the steep banks. Garden allotments were until recently sited here, which used to benefit from being naturally watered, before channelling a course for a small stream through a Brick Yard Recreation park.
It was this drainage that supported residential expansion of Hucknall-under-Huthwaite, when initially forming west side of a Main Street. And before the rising population needed to sink drinking wells, it used to flow into a pool on what became a central market place, lending name for Ellispool properties.
Reference was also given when naming later streeting, and the properties lining Sutton Road between Old Fall Street and New Fall Street long continued to be informally addressed along The Bottoms.
Written 16 Mar 13 Revised 29 May 14 © by Gary Elliott