Town Street was initial 1881 census address covering the future named Main Street. Other references suggest brief separation of this older established southern section between Hopkin Lane to Harper Lane, so name is similarly used here to simply identify one of three separate pages featuring fuller historic length of Main Street heading northward off the busiest Blackwell Road crossroad.
Entry from atop Common Road in 2003 shows when The White Hart public house still held prominent right corner. That original farm facing Blackwell Road dates from 1829, making it the longest standing premises along the entire east side. It adopted current 1 Main Street address from an associated rear cottage deemed unsuitable for 1935 habitation. Several more years use as a butchers shop predated inevitable demolition, which opened up a pub car park entry ever since serving shop and flat conversion.
Motorway traffic turned this section of Main Street into the busiest residential street, with through connection between Chesterfield Road above an accident prone crossroad demanding the first set of 2004 village traffic lights, primarily to aid pedestrian crossings.
Large neighbouring allotment spanning numbers 3 - 13 was thereafter all claimed by subsequent Christian Fellowships. Replacing a wooden chapel in 1963 had presented a modern looking Pentecost with symbolic alterations, until sale opened a 2016 Nursery.
Third and final building along this sectional side is a renamed Market Inn at number 15. Corner construction aside an open Market Place likely dates somewhere nearer end the 19th century, following majority of present Huthwaite terraced shops and houses.
Past generations recalled when the familiarly known Clubby used to be a sweet shop. A WWII air raid shelter overshadowed the later licensed club house, until late 1970's removal presented the bordered car park annually featuring a traditional Christmas tree.
Retaking northward path along even numbered west side, can firstly recognise the beginnings of mass residential expansion from around the 1880s. Most of these roadside properties eventually replaced some far older rear cottages. Hopkins Yard had populated the Blackwell Road corner, until 1951 auctioned entire estate left by Thomas Hopkins. Lineker converted this short row of housing into flats. Many recalled the distinct smell of paraffin sold from Leah's end shop, long before establishing the Head Start hair salon. From being one of the very grandest residences, Hopkins home has been left standing in poor state of neglect owned by Bettison.
Huthwaite News can be traced back to this modest frontage when Jim May ran a stationery shop. A double windowed convenience store extension added by Ladd was bricked up as a result of one drunken fall by "Jewson" smashing out newer larger glass pane.
Private driveway separating next block had long before offered entry to some far older properties. Rose Cottage was totally rebuilt by the owner following original footings. Greater historic significance was sited a little further back. Thirty years before 1881 census offered reference to Dickens Yard, that Blacksmith workshop introduced a 60 year old William Dickens establishing his old trade, married to 39 year old Sarah. Continuously also extending family name led to Bill Dickens training New Hucknall Colliery workers into the basic skills of more ancient necessity.
A garage directly behind the newsagents has converted use of a smaller cottage where Mrs O'Brien retired to after handing over the next corner shop shown run by J. Bromley. That whole block was eventually taken over by Gem Sports, until 2011 vacated sale resulted in another much needed flat conversion.
The only known reason for constructing what resembles a 1970s detached house, was for storing fabric rolls. Elders claimed this replaced a tumble down cottage affording home for the Southerington family. Jonathon confirmed being raised at 2 Boots Yard. The entry through what had also been loosely called Peacock Yard, is unique in asserting a modern yard address likewise kept for the Orchards. They reflect historic significance of a highly influential Boot family, after bungalows replaced their grander dwellings.
Squeezing three fronting shops between the original Peacock Hotel driveway may well be attributed to the Brunt surname similarly dating c1900 construction of his facing clubhouse. Living memories recalled Towles boot maker, predating when teenagers idly spent time in Pat's Top Ten Cafe. Repainting 2003 sign came shortly before selling out for retirement. A 2005 juxtaposed view of alternatively favoured Chinese and Italian take away food establishments remains little changed todate. End right was Slack's fruit and veg shop. Personally peering through a large windowed frontage was when Talbot last kept a second hand shop.
Slum Clearance Acts removed many older properties, while widening a purposeful Station Road also demanded loss of one fine looking dwelling directly cornering a far busier Chesterfield Road. Breweries had a vested interest keeping their premises updated, so although the Peacock exchanged its own driveway for a walkway, it did gain a larger garden plus prominent corner exposure.
Sighting the Workpeoples Inn offers an introduction for separately featuring fuller length along both sides the Hucknall Huthwaite Main Street towards the Top End. Looking back down this southern section in 2004 concludes the earlier known Town Street.