When 1881 census first introduced name for Town Street, this entire east side still lay waste. Up until a 1794 Forest Enclosure Act it had been deemed part of larger Commons, which from centuries before, more specifically identified area called Dirty Hucknall.
Blocks of shops aside familiar 1890s terraced rows quickly filled in this still recognisable Main Street side. Its among initial phase of mass residential expansion that had finally been enabled by Hucknall Huthwaite Urban Councillors providing piped water supplies. Viewing such recently built advancements failed to impress one visiting Notts historian. Mr E L Guilford simply noted:
there are few more depressingly sordid places in the county than this which stands close to the highest point reached within our borders. His negative opinion did not however appear shared by early 20th century photographers eagerly framing these grander styled shops.
Stone construction of larger cornering shop was revealed through renovation towards opening circa 2000 Co-Operative store. That had actually replaced a far earlier Wesleyan Chapel with burial grounds, to then lead way for fullest Main Street developments. A 1913 Peacock Hotel auction had failed to sell Messrs. W.S. Spencer Ltd premises describing:-
Lot 1, a grocer's shop, with dwelling-house, bake-house, and store-room, situate at the corner of Market-place and Main-street, ..... started at £600 and was withdrawn.
Spencer's faced Chapel Street, when that lent name a future Market Street where living memories used to next recall Hutton's Store. Unlike subsequent owners, the modernised Co-op adopted extended use into rear properties, preferring to claim their 17-25 Main Street, NG17 2QX delivery address.
Doorway numbered 17 once provided discreet access to a separate upstairs dental surgery. Wallace Alexander was that qualified Huthwaite dentist throughout the 1930s. The lack of any signage was simply because everyone knew where it was located.
Hucknall-under-Huthwaite 1901 census introduces some of the resident families. Turner & Sons House Furnishing showrooms also homed their large family. Headed by 52 year old Mr Edward Turner and 46 year old wife Ellen, a young boarder affords further assistance similarly given by and supporting 3 sons and 4 daughters. Son John W Turner partly extended that long familiar family business, while numbering of their twinned 23 and 25 Main Street premises is introduced from a 1932 trade directory. Another very prestigious business was the Globe Tea Co. at number 29 naming proprietor J Duckworth Ltd. Having its title set in stone proudly ensured it could be clearly identified before any numbers, such as when John Norman managed that 1912 luxury commodity.
Catching only 2002 glimpse of a closed Neptune's 1990s massage parlour left 2003 premises next becoming taken over expanding Tonks 4s4 earlier Main Street relocation. The fenced off grounds where Stanley Critchlow's fish shop had last stood was apparently claimed for storage by another Turner surname. The late David Ross Turner had long run a successful reclamation company.
Previously suggested businesses recognised among this entire row from around the 1950s were, Turner paraffin and baby clothes, Wrights Cafe, Globe Grocers, Hassle Sweets, Hill Fish & Chips, Gelsthorpe Plumbers, Davis Grow and Wright Haberdashery. Hunt can be lastly recalled fully utilising a neighbouring Handyman shop window, supplying wood plus an array of common hand tools and full range of fixture fittings suiting most popular DIY needs. Disused neglect demanded a safer presentable 2010 tidy up.
This block ends with a larger shop cornering onto Sherwood Street. It was originally designed as the first Huthwaite Co-Operative grocery store. The sign partly seen behind Whit walkers might well have reflected official name recognising the Stanton Hill Industrial Co-Operative Society Ltd. As my teenage chores regularly included family shopping, it dates 1970s memory being sent here with a divi number for the stamps to fill mothers reward booklet collection. Intriguing to see cash magically being delivered and change returned by air tube via remote handling by unseen cashiers upstairs.
Later users includes Tonks introducing green signed auto interests here in Huthwaite before establishing specialist services further down Main Street. Triple A Furnishings left room for a 2004 B&K General Store, changing into Preloved goods for Charity causes. Thanks to other 1950s Sherwood Street Methodist walkers, sighting a wooden hut introduces next block towards New Street.
Opposite top corner of Sherwood Street is where a second wooden missionary hut used to stand along full length of Main Street. This baptist group was only loosely recalled hosting some entertainment. Vacated grounds proved large enough to privately build two individual c1970s bungalows atop area which was remembered being called The Park before any street developments.
Starting a short row was Beardsall confectioners shop, founding their sweet factory down side jennel. Part time businesses were also commonly run from roadside doorways of most terraced homes to support meagre wages. But a separating driveway giving access behind longer row led to garages for rising numbers of residents owning motor cars, that since cram narrow streets. Stone inset identifying 1892 Willoughby Cottages can similarly date most properties warmed by coal fires to be lit by gas lamps.
A National Deposit Friendly Society held 1940s right corner into New Street numbering 83 Main Street, while left corner at 85 was another fried fish dealer, John Joseph Wells. Passing that larger windowed extension walking to New Street Schools noted storage of equipment potentially last relating Lanes Plumbing business. Full residential use was thereafter advantageously restored.
Highest numbered longer row may date final phase of construction stretching into The Falls area, bearing
W Ives, Cottages 1900 above far end properties. No 115 had been suitably updated when parents took option purchasing their 1960 starter house.
A short block of similarly designed dwellings had completed east extremity along Main Street. Being slightly set back hinted corner potential for a branching roadway connection into an extended Newcastle Street, while leaving an area later suiting off road parking beneath well established allotment gardens. Footpath is still retained after furthermore leading into Huthwaite Recreation Park, but siting of New Street Schools took priority over further housing here, especially when need came to add a sports field. Closure of New Street Schools then presented an access road off Main Street into John Davis workshops, plus addition of The Kids Club