This industrialised B6027 was named in historic reference to those common pastures through which it cut a straight route into Fulwood. That area of "foul wood" alongside these Dirty Hucknall meadows were both deemed worthless in both timber and farming when enclosed by Sherwood Forest. Proving these lands of no great loss to the king allowed parishioners to be granted royal rights of free common grazing. Appointing a titled Woodward to overlook those forestry interests finds one case dated 1340 against Roger le Wyne. This castle owner took liberty of pasturing his cattle upon Fulwood Common, where the Woodward living at Hucknall Huthwaite dutifully impounded them. Matters were eventually settled at the Court of the Exchequer.
Duties of Woodwarden came to an end here through the enclosure of Sutton Forest land from 1797. Years then also cover road allotments marking out full width to begin turning these country lanes into recognised roadways. Accessing Commonside meadows leading a direct connection onto the major highway between Alfreton and Mansfield lent reference to Hucknall Road, before initially offered a present day Sutton Road. Mapping a Hucknall Huthwaite hamlet in 1805 displays its straight New Road. Several off road farms hold Commonside address from 1861 census, before roadside housing upon Common Road appears towards 1900.
Consideration seems given to extend Common Road address along Main Street to join up Chesterfield Road. The crossroad off Blackwell Road proved adequate for covering a steep 1.1 mile route taking giant steps southward through a deep valley to join the A38.
Early view above reveals the New Hucknall Colliery sited below on the east side. On top right are some of the first terraced properties here with designs to home arriving miners, and where my great grandmother Roberts is listed among later tenants during sale of the late Hopkins estate. Her home is in background to my Elliott great grandparents living upon Blackwell Road, also revealing on left part of Farnsworth's farm long stood cornering the top junction. Chalet type houses replaced those former roadside properties. Churchmead addressing residentially covers that farm yard behind its old stone walling, since fronted by the pit wheel memorial.
Huthwaite All Saints church presents a familiar scene on a now far busier roadway. Horse drawn vehicles are still a traditional choice for some weddings and funerals. But while motorised transport has eased the uphill journey, troubled only by heavy snow, the sheer volume of everyday traffic advantaged by A38 and M1 access then turned this road and junction into a dangerous crossroad. Traffic lights were introduced in 2005, and speeding motorists need to be warned when passing Common Road School.
Opening a second church school in 1891 recognises one of the first roadside buildings on Common Road. Named after All Saints, it continues primary education with recent modernisation retaining original frontage.
Housing developments quickly progressed through the 20th century, filling the east roadside in Huthwaite down to the earlier sited farm just before reaching the pit yard entrance. A council built estate branched along previously defined streeting, yet only ever knowing one former shop cornering Springwell Street.
Meadow land on the west side finally succumbed to an ever increasing demand for new homes. Building progressed through the first decade of this century, filling much of the gap down towards Carnarvon Road. Naming that road suggests some intented desire to allow further expansion. But all the area southward gained industrial interest. After siting a prisoner of war camp then crisp factory, an adjacent opening into Nunn Brook Road finally forged connection onto Blackwell Road, to successfully invite more businesses.
Residentially claiming Mill Lane addressing, this large housing estate extends along the former pit road to entirely cover the New Hucknall Colliery yard. Where coal trains once crossed Common Road a pedestrian path invites walks across the reclaimed pit and landfill tip that plants designs on Rookery Park. Opposite side and Brookside Way tarmacs over the past railroad that had divided an industrial southern section.
Written 16 Oct 04 Revised 23 Apr 13 © by Gary Elliott