Evidence founding any Huthwaite schooling dates from November 1669 Will of Ann Mason. Maiden name Langton recognises one of Sutton's 16th century influential family connections, and by donating land here called Fennybank Close, appointed trustees fulfilled her wish of extending education into Huthwaite for the teaching of poorest children in Bible reading. Similarly motivated in 1724, Elizabeth Boot added Pothouse Close in neighbouring Fulwood, to provide a rentable income to fund teaching poorer Huthwaite children.
Missionary huts and then Methodist Church extensions provided Sunday School classrooms for educating most children able to afford subscription costs. Teaching focused on the importance of just reading from the Bible, whilst the average worker had little opportunity of enjoying any other literature. Complex arithmetic and actual writing were also deemed unnecessary skills beyond basic want to proudly sign ones name.
The Sutton parish clergy are recorded being of influence promoting need for building Huthwaite's first new school house. Opening 1868 addressing site on Hopkin Lane, this was a National school that had appropriately licensed class rooms to conduct religious services. This offered references towards Church Street prior official renaming of the currently addressed Blackwell Road.
Built by 1891 this original Common Road school uniquely continues teaching some Huthwaite primary children. Stood almost facing the later built parish church, which gave its recognised name to modernised C-of-E classes being partly funded by the Anglican Southwell diocese.
Larger Council schools became sited upon New Street to be opened 1902. Classing here 260 infants, teaching continued until 1977 after being renamed John Davis in recognition of efforts made by the local councillor. This converted building opened again 1982 offers Huthwaite leisure centre amenities.
Directly behind the infant school, juniors at age moved into this separate building a short walk off New Street, or atop length of Newcastle Street. Similarly renamed, this partnering school was also closed 1977 under county educational reorganising. The property currently sites workshops and given access off Main Street a newer built nursery upon its former play field.
Following national introduction of secondary education, Huthwaite pupils first went into Huthwaite Road School. Parents initially rallied against the costs or time sending their children on lengthy walks into Sutton before Leah's bus offered school transport. Huthwaite finally gained its own secondary school in 1960, leaving these Sutton classrooms renamed Westbourne School until last year in 1977. Since adopted as part of West Notts College.
The only secondary modern school eventually ever built in Huthwaite was opened 1960 sited atop Barker Street. Just 17 years later we find teenage pupils again facing daily travels, further this time either into a newer Sutton Centre, or a much larger Kirkby comprehensive classing majority of Ashfield students. This larger modern school then adopted name John Davis, replacing both previous so named older New Street primary and junior schools.
The 1977 reforms resulted from Nottinghamshire education adopting the national comprehensive system. Prior this an 11-plus exam had divided Huthwaite pupils, allowing some a choice between more academic or technical studies. Most from Huthwaite appeared favouring, under former grammar school status either Brunts or Queen Elizabeths. But Mr Paul Fitzimmons informs Sherwood Hall was another established Mansfield school when he opted for the Manor County Technical Grammar at Mansfield Woodhouse
Written 01 Apr 04 Revised 17 Jul 14 © by Gary Elliott