While the Blackwell Road school house continued classing girls and all infants, building a second National school in 1891 had been aimed to separately accomodate 300 boys. They were mastered by the continuing service of Mr Boardman, until recognising year 1912 when this Common Road school had begun catering for mixed infants under a newly appointmented mistress, Miss Mary Cook. Teaching pupils in age related classes of moderate sizes had however, already brought further demand for building yet another school.
But this National Common Road school appears having been financed by public subscription. Like the one previous, this also involved parish interests adding closer ties with the church built almost directly facing. So before handing over all state education to Nottinghamshire County authorities, classrooms had become similarly addressed as the All Saints Church of England School. Regular assisted funding probably helped escape county closures, uniquely leaving one original Huthwaite schoolroom teaching youngest pupils. Director of education, Mr Peter Housden congratulates Mrs Barbara Davies upon her retirement after 28 years being headteacher of the Huthwaite Church of England Infant School on Common Road in December 1991.
The building has been modified over the years to keep pace with modern demands. Fitting 2002 windows saw obvious work, still tastefully preserving a comparable historic frontage far beyond 100 years in service.
Under Nottinghamshire Council Educational Services and in closer range for many Huthwaite youngsters, the Common Road school offers an alternative choice for introducing infants aged between 5 and 7 before pupils join John Davis Infant classes in their adopted larger school building situated atop Barker Street.
Written 21 May 12 Revised 29 Oct 13 © by Gary Elliott