Providing a Huthwaite school house to accomodate all children with free state education resulted in the building of quite a large National School. Some credit for initiating this scheme was offered the Vicar of Sutton,. It was aptly licensed for divine services, initially performed Sunday afternoons by Reverend Charles Bellairs. Huthwaite was later afforded its own curate before acquiring separate parish rights with a church.
A widowed Countess of Carnarvon generously gave land sited upon Hopkin Lane, along with £460 towards cost of building. The National School opened 1868 at total cost around £800, including a master residence first filled by John Joseph Sharpe. Classrooms could accommodate up to about 440 pupils, recognised as girls under charge of Mistress Mrs Ann Sharpe and loosely defined infants by Mistress Miss Mary Parker.
An originally dated column presents knowledge of a recognised school board. Providing names for those notable and influential members, who may well have continued sharing interests with a Huthwaite School.
The first meeting of the School Board was held on Thursday last in the Vestry Room, when the whole of the members were present. W.E. Goodacre, Esq., the returning officer, was present, for the purpose of presiding and recording the results of the first meeting. As the sitting was a private one, we are unable to report fully the business that was transacted, but we have been favoured with a copy of the official minutes, from which we extract our information. The result of the next meeting we hope to be able to give in detail. The election of a chairman was necessarily the first step taken, and it was accordingly proposed by Mr. Bonser and seconded by Mr. Slater, that the Rev. C. Bellairs be the chairman.
Mr. Kendall proposed and the Rev. E. Pringle seconded, that Mr. Carter be appointed chairman, Mr. Carter, however, declined to hold the office, remarking that he thought it would be well, that if the chairman were a churchman, the clerk to the board should be a dissenter, and vice versa. Mr. Jepson then proposed and Mr. Kendal seconded an amendment, that the Rev. E. Pringle be appointed chairman. On the amendment being put, Messrs. Kendal, Jephson and Pringle voted for Mr. Pringle, and Messrs. Carter, Bellairs, Bonser and Slater for Mr. Bellairs, who was therefore declared to be elected chairman.
It was next proposed by Mr. Bonser, seconded by Mr. Slater, and carried unanimously, that the Rev. E. Pringle be appointed vice-chairman. The next meeting was fixed for Thursday, the 27th inst., at 6.30 p.m.
Mr. Bonser then proposed, and Mr. Pringle seconded, that the quorum of the board should be five. This motion was also agreed to. Mr. Jephson proposed and Mr. Kendal seconded a motion to the effect that at future meetings a representative of the Press be admitted. This was passed unanimously.
A vote of thanks was passed to Mr. Goodacre for the courtesy and impartiality with which the proceedings had been conducted throughout, and for his presence at their first meeting. Mr. Goodacre acknowledged the compliment, and the business then terminated.
Year 1881 finds the master residence held by Joseph Boardman. Relation Johan Lubbe shows him from 1915 after accepting transfer onward, sitting central at Burton Latimer. He'd been assisted at the Huthwaite National Church School by Miss Mary Key and Miss Annie Grundy. All witnessed a rapid rise in attendance, reaching a maximun number of pupils towards year 1900, mainly due to a fast growing mining population. The position of headmaster at Blackwell Road school is lastly attributed to Mr Herbert A Simpson in 1913.
Filling need for a second National school house started from 1891. Adding even more school houses in conformance to modern guidelines eventually left behind this old Blackwell Road School. It had once served for meetings of a Local Board, and lent early addressing towards Church Street until they officially named Blackwell Road and saw transfer of divine services into a newly erected All Saints Church.
The disused property remained under parish care of the Huthwaite vicar, finding some occasional room for various group or club meetings. It is lastly known as having supported WWII trainee troops. Demolition must have followed a few years afterwards, opening up a substantial plot suiting industrial use. Mebon Paints established a specialised factory, adopted by and through other company names since. Shown in 2005, the original fronting stone wall is last remnant from years formerly siting that Blackwell Road school. This is where where my grandfather Charles Elliott finished his education to begin pit work aged 14.
Written 21 May 12 Revised 17 Jul 14 © by Gary Elliott