Huthwaite's Past Public Houses

The White Swan

Ye Swanne or the Mute Swan portrays one of the very commonest chosen pub symbols, with no discernable reason why. Wild majestic birds are still protected having been reserved only for royal banquets. Perhaps they symbolised finest Inn food. Likelier showing loyalty to some influential family crests, especially if adding usual prefix defining predominant white colour after that shared years of recognition through Tudor queens.

White Swan

The White Swan stood off Main Street amidst several small cottages. All lastly addressed a Swan Yard until final c1960 slum clearances. An 1828 Hucknall Huthwaite directory first revealed its established sign among three public houses, although good chance is, this premises likely began serving previous 18th century ale. Year known at White Swan
1804 Not fully confirmed
1812 Nathapiel Chambers
1828 Hannah Chambers
1830 Hannah Chambers
1832 Jane Chambers
1844 Thomas Sims
1853 Herbert Simpson
1864 Herbert Simpson
1881 Robert Wilson
1891 George Allen
1896 Hezekiah Holland
1927 Hezekiah Holland
1932 William Cook
1941 William Lawrence
1945 George Poyser
1956 Licensed Closure

Appearing to provide earlier proof of licensed service was found dated by these simple notices extracted from the Nottingham Journal:
1804 Apr 21: Auction, Swan, May 3, 4pm: Windmill & house at Hucknall Huthwaite. Enquiries: Mr Walkden ...
1806 May 10: Charles Ellis, bankrupt grocer of Hucknall-Huthwaite, is to surrender himself at the Swan, ...

Those interesting references could however, misguide dating behind this Huthwaite pub. Researching the name discovers easy confusions from being a favoured far older sign in both related towns of Mansfield and Sutton. When 1806 entry is repeated under 1807 Stirup keep, it realises a manor court role assigned a 15th century stage coach hotel situated in that over ruling Mansfield town.White Swan

Findings must then cast doubt upon earlier entry with no named identifiable keeper. Public parish meetings had been accommodated at Sutton. Its town centre White Swan claims their first local pub designed to fully room that type of gathering. A 1934 rebuild has since displayed signage above door off Devonshire Square. However.

Despite still lacking a confirmed owner on the above list of publicans, the Hucknall Huthwaite Swan is most likeliest here to date even beyond year 1804. Adding support for keeping inclusion comes another valuable business auction of similar localised interest. Full column from 1812 Derby Mercury truly does assert an established Huthwaite White Swan has sufficient hosting capacity. Furthermore to earlier introducing known Chambers surname is a definite family connection also sharing the subjects productive windmill interests.Swan Yard 1917

Visitors had described a long, thick walled building, joining dimly lit rooms just one deep all floored by bare cold slabs. Stone construction is consistent with similar aged smaller alehouses. Former farms built by wealthier self supporting land owners roomily suited this additional type of income serving popular public needs. Like most well established pubs, it became target for big corporate brewery buyers. Images here display later Home Brewery tenants, but the strip of ground had already been privately converted, from poor farmland into more profitable rentable housing.

A Huthwaite District mapped 1917 best outlines all worker cottages forming a residential Swan Yard. Home Brewery dray carts apparently favoured rear Back Lane deliveries A narrow street connection led through into fronting grounds, which mainly invited customer access off Main Street.

The White Swan remains firstly known run under Chambers family surname. They'd hand ownership over to next relation or generation in turn. Below Hannah's early 1828 directory listing can find Thomas Chambers titled a Corn Miller. Owning the only Huthwaite windmill as sold by 1804 auction in this very pub, couldn't be a coincidence after adding a senior Nathapiel into what may realise a far older Chambers line of victuallers.

Chambers surname disappears from Huthwaite sometime after Jane gains last 1932 mention. Less frequent gazetteers next introduce Thomas Sims trading as 1844 victualler under a Swan sign. A relatively brief stay may be reason for no other mention, neither about any family usually employed in a supportive occupation.

Dual trade listings for Herbert Simpson under Hosiery Agent reveals initial industrial reason why Huthwaite started enticing working families. They in turn, desperately needed housing. Progress by private landlords is mapped out 1884, before Swan Yard is similarly filled with cottages detailing completion prior a 1900 map.

Who initiated and financed that construction is not asserted. There's a big gap in the current records before finding Robert Wilson runs the White Swan through 1889. His surname suggests likeliest entrepeneur if the brewery itself had not become outright owners. Handing keys over to George Allen at a time bringing even more rapid village expansion would raise competition from other pubs serving a massive influx of thirsty mine workers. Amongst those arrivals came the Holland surname. Genealogy uncovers the tenancy held by Hezekiah Holland between 1896 and 1927, and presents rare scenes fronting this past Public House.

H.U.F.C. 1912-1913H.U.F.C. 1913-1914

Above follows two successive seasons for the Huthwaite United Football Club ending 1913 and 1914. Smartly suited outfits for the latter year may well be attributed to the landlords support. Identifying Hezekiah Holland in the doorway as Club President, listed among all the named team for that cup winning season.

H.V.F.C. 1932-1933Huthwaite Villa Football Club are shown with their full entourage in year 1933. Press coverage reveals their debut 1932 season in Division three resulted in uniquely winning three cups. Celebrations held at their White Swan headquarters were hosted by a William Cook, with good chance son Billy is among named team players.

The final 1941 gazetteer offered name for William Oliver Lawrence. VE Day Celebrations But when photograph is verified by Mrs Mavis Radford dating the 1945 VE day celebrations held fronting the White Swan, just visible above doorway is a named Licensee G Poyser.

George Hall Poyser was recalled and listed earlier as a Sutton Road fruiterer. He's understood continuing to sell fruits from his lorry, presumably after the brewery shut down this public house. Eventual 1956 closure allowed the license transferral necessary at time for opening a new Worksop pub. Mr Eric Jones occupied this vacated premises when starting to raise a family.

Later group photos fronting the White Swan indicate it had seen some structural improvements. In fact c1960 demolition was not really a Home Brewery initiative. The real problem was, the tightly clustered cottages within its grounds forming Swan Yard, like all similar poorly designed neighbouring Yards, could not be updated to meet both latest building regulations plus public Health with additional sanitation guidelines.

It was a District Council responsibility enforcing the Governments new Slum Clearance Acts, which basically led to clearing the whole area of the haphazardly built workers homes. Largely enforced by compulsory purchasing the land was fully opened up for Council redevelopment with town planning. This old pub was last property cleared from the vast site, remembered with modern residential path named Swanson Avenue.


Written 15 Dec 04 Revised 23 May 17 © by Gary Elliott