In this heavily depleted Huthwaite pub culture, there will still be heard some regular brewers of entertainingly imaginative tales. Vague as our history stood behind all known licensed village bars, this ongoing research only offers a sobering insight into their past local services. Frequently asked and seeking answers here are, which was first, stands, or served Huthwaite longest. Menu listing counts verified numbers, ordered to reflect potential historic appearances found proven from an ever widening array of research material.
A brief background behind the traditional pub may well begin from Roman occupancy. Importing their love of wine and infamous armed mobility afforded resting tabernae, or taverns signed by roadside vines. Ale brewing however, dates far back into the bronze age, and when later invading settlers similarly adopted roadside Inns, they displaying an easier found staked green bush to signal existing thirst for beer. Ale continued to be considered a far safer family drink rather than risking communal waters. Bread and weak beers commonly formed the staple diet long feeding massed majority of an English population. Pilgrims ventured through the Middle Ages finding such hostelry among brewing monasteries. As travelling traders braved busier town routes, more localised stabling became offered. A farm house would also present the biggest communal building, able to accommodate public gatherings while serving home made brews. By simply offering food and lodgings, a supplementary income would invite all weary travellers into larger Inns.
Forming small communities with many socially centred around a favoured local public house, they became a recognised English tradition. Distinguished by customary hung signs and many old familiar pub names dates from 1393 decree by Richard II. Demanding that all taverns be clearly signed for visits by appointed ale tasters, their enviable job carried royal powers to close any non compliant establishment. Intent was to discourage rouge practices in competitive busier towns, later needing stricter control with national effect.
That decree could be considered the first licensing law, leaving no doubt why so many older pub names displayed allegiance to the crown. Considering few could actually read or write, a simple pictorial painting was easily distinguished. A popular chosen White Hart represented King Richards own heraldic symbol. The first recognised licensing Act came in 1551, officially setting out to control the
abuses and disorders as are had and used in common alehouses. Hop enriched beers would broaden tastes while passengers sought speedy journeys between larger stage coach hotels. Competition between far cheaper Gin Houses caused notorious harm, even threatening national economy. 18th century legislation led to further Acts.
Although there's every chance this secondary hamlet acquired some earlier establishment, its relatively quite and peaceful past doesn't gain much historic detailing until better recording rapid 19th century developments.
1804 - White Swan Currently determines the first recognised public house. Last serving under the Home Brewery to span over 150 years before seeing first lost pub through circa 1960 slum clearances. Discovered in the Nottingham Journal relating a Chambers family when also purchasing the Hucknall Huthwaite windmill.
1811 - The Gate Hosting an auction for estate belonging the late Richard Mellers first finds the house of Samuel Butterworth, known by the Sign of the Gate. Noted between two earliest Gazetteers passing keys onto Samuel Bower. Naming indicates positioning upon old far east border. Renamed The Portland Arms.
1832 - The Portland Arms Initially still run by Samuel Bower from under former name The Gate. By seeing start of rapid developments, he renamed it in honour of our titled Duke. As our Lord of the Manor and chief landowner one Duke was generously influential in aiding village improvements. Extensively modernised under Shipstones 'Star' Brewery, offered a unique alternative here. Demolished 2000 set 189 year record..
1828 - Shoulder of Mutton Inn Earliest find comes from dated Gazetteer naming publican Thomas Marshall. Timothy Woodhead takes over by 1830, and being himself a butcher, it seems likely he continued the previous twin trades that certainly accounts for the choice of name. The Home Brewery Company Ltd took over this business, and can now be confirmed as rebuilding the Inn following 1912 proposal plans. It finally closed in 2002, the name spanning a known 174 years. This prominent Blackwell Road property has since been extensively renovated in order to continue privately serving as the Ashfield Hells Angels Club House.
1832 - Colonel Wildman Just the one listing with name suggestively honouring Lord Byron of Newstead Abbey. Jeremiah Burrows is identified as publican, whom later appears renaming this the Peacock Hotel.
1844 - Peacock Hotel Initially still run by Jeremiah Burrows after renaming the Colonel Wildman. It kept either Inn or Hotel status throughout years under Mansfield Brewery, while locally called the feathers. The thick stone walls suggest they could share a far longer history from a converted farmers house. It has seen significant updates before several landlord struggled through widespread closures. Latest 2012 refurbishment may hope to ensure a future distinction for longest service, currently recognising it spans beyond 182 years.
1855 - Travellers Rest Dated thereabouts recalled by William Hill. Relaxed licencing allowed residents to retail their own home brewed beer from any modest accommodation. This just offers a name to one of numerous small beer houses that were often short lived attempts passing by without sign. His Ellispool rear yard brewery was then taken over by another postmaster, giving chance at similarly recognising The Crown.
1881 - White Lion Now dating back earlier than supposed, Edward Brammer is beer retailer confirmed by a later 1885 gazetteer addressing. This looks to have been actually designed as a beer house aimed at serving 'Top End' housing along the High Road that recognised Main Street, and with forethought to further Barker Street developments. Pub doors closed a final time in 2006 ending over 125 years. Purchased in 2009 to see extensive renovation planned for offices, it fulfilled years of speculation when again reopened 8th March 2013 as a new Brierley Forest Golf Course Club House.
1881 - Railway Inn Woodend station opened 1886, adding a Whiteborough passenger platform. A remote border setting attracted few passengers, but gave hope they may seek farmhouse hostelry. The named Inn is mapped 1900 as a Beer House, but not identified among directories. Nevertheless, retail origins do now appear relating family interests following earliest 1881 listing given Mrs Sarah Ashmore. Outliving local rail journeys to find custom come from nearer housing, it reclaimed former address recognising Woodend Inn.
1960s? - Woodend Inn Exact dates officially renaming the former Railway Inn remain elusive. But a vastly extended dining area raised its success serving meals more notably after 1990. This led fierce competition fitting other pub kitchens, but still profitably sold off to eventually fully present a Crown Carvery since 2008.
1891 - White Hart Displaying date stone 1829 recognised a former gentry house. Earliest found reference so far serving patrons under pub name was during occupation by John and Mrs Lucy Ward-Ball. A later publican lent local reference to Lawrence's. After serving through 118 years, this Mansfield Brewery house finally called time November 2009. While preserving a familiar frontal shell, extensive conversion opened a 2012 general store plus flats. Alcohol can again be purchased, but in popular bottles and cans.
1891 - Miners Arms Thomas Elvidge firstly appears as beer retailer before naming a 1894 beer house. Converting what is believed being the old mine managers residence in 'Pit Row', always gave an alternative local addressing through later modernisation. Renamed Godfreys for a few years, the Free House then struggled through various name changes that lastly reasserted
The Miners. Its doors finally closed to the public in February 2008. Sold and turned back into a private residence after serving some 117 years.
1891 - Royal Oak Thomas Thompson was simply identified among several unaddressed beer retailers before his named beer house made brief appearance. Naming did fuel local rumours of having served ale long before the adjacent Should of Mutton. There's no evidence supporting this idea, especially when the yard descriptively founded Wesleyan teachings. The old cottages may actually have homed far earlier Quakers, giving the name more historic significance by sheltering their persecuted beliefs. There is chance later retailers made some brief home brewing attempts here, but without any greater licensed recognition.
1893 - New Hucknall Institute Reportedly built and opened 1893 by that colliery company. Spacious room was commandeered for training troops through both world wars, the 'Drill Hall' thereafter making alternative address for hosting social functions. It struggled for business after the mines 1981 closure and barely served 90 years. Falling into a poor state when privately sold for 1992 demolition, replaced by housing.
1894 - Workpeoples Inn That years gazetteer is good indication for dating farmer Robert Wright setting up this beer house. Although suggestively linked with classing an upstairs schoolroom, it can historically recognise room given for starting the Huthwaite Amateur Boxing Club. Combining adjoining residences remained little changed until 2003 refurbishment by Mansfield Brewery, but not its past reputation for long attracting unsociable younger patrons. Sold 2010, it was quickly transformed into a Tesco store.
1906 - Victoria Working Mens Club Plans found proposed by Mr William Barnes for siting a clubhouse and cottages upon North Street can now date start of
The Vic. Built in close proximity to CWS and Betts & Broughton factories suggests design mainly for hosiery and boot workers. Fully titled a Workmens Club and Institute in 1912, the secretary at time was John Hedley Hinks. The adjoining cottages may well have housed Airey's shop next door to Mrs Edith Lineker living at number 4. Her daughter Kim has estimated year 1966 when rehoused on Sutton Road, to allow the clubs full extension over their demolished homes.
1906 - Market Club Finally becomes found among Main Street proposals submitted by and for Mr W Brunt, who sought alterations and additions to three shops, plus his clubhouse. Structurally the
Clubby stands pretty much unchanged. Covering the outside walk to toilets met legal requirements, while the modest bar floor grew in size and popularity by combining an adjoining private room to present a larger function area.
1922 - Billiard Hall Dated proposals for a New Billard Hall for Messrs. Barker & Hepworth, have established when this licenced Sutton Road was built on Sutton Road. It's only really identified in a 1941 directory being then run by Cooper & Hepworth. The late Mr Bill Harrison recalled it was cluttered with coal bags, adding storage for the owners other business interests. It clearly didn't last many years, because the addressing at No. 133 sites 1975 replacement, when establishing Huthwaite Plumbing and Heating Supplies Ltd.
1982 - Huthwaite Leisure Centre Opened in 1902 as the New Street Council school, it classed John Davis infants up to 1977. This converted school house offers a gym and badminton sized sports hall. Attendants may permit this to be hired for social functions while also separately serving a small public bar at night.
1990 - Huthwaite Tandoori Introduced Huthwaite to English tastes for a fully licenced Indian Restaurant. This Market Street property was originally built 1897 as a dwelling and boot factory shop front for C H Coupe JP.
The Indian successfully expanded its seating capacity, and attracted a neighbouring Rani competitor.
Written 01 Apr 02 Revised 26 Oct 15 © by Gary Elliott